PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to pull the trigger and buy an enclosed trailer for my 2012 800HD. It has tracks and a polaris prosteel cab, and an LED light bar on the roof.

I think I got the height covered with an extra 18" wall height option. Other advice on the forum is to go tandem axle.

I am leaning towards 7x12, but want to hear what other folks think. It has a 2' V nose to store stuff.

I am also worried about getting in and out of the cab, with the backup plan to take the door off during transport...

Any tips, tricks, guidance would be appreciated.

Dan

·
Registered
181 Posts
Any enclosed trailer that I have seem and trying to put a Ranger inside is a tight fit, at 72" wide trailer and Rangers in the 60" plus size wide, good luck in getting in and out. I'd go with a front side door trailer and winch it in and out (not sure if you can winch tracks) and it would still be a very tight fit, tying down the front is another problem. Open trailer makes so much more sense to me, but if you just want an enclosed trailer, think bigger.

John

·
Registered
973 Posts
I would get something slightly larger and take advantage of the added space. If you ever to get a different unit (the larger full size crews are just over 12') so it's cheaper now to buy a larger trailer then buying it a second time plus you can enjoy the space :****sure: I would get the double axle.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My trailer is 102 inches wide by 20 feet long. I would not want anything smaller for myself. The extra room to get in and out and store stuff is nice.

Reactions: rowe doo

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great input. I am now leaning towards 8.5'x14' with the extra 18" wall height. That will be an 7.5' opening and 8' interior height. Tandem axle w v-nose and side door.

That should give me enough width to "squeeze" in/out of the cab without taking off doors, tall enough with tracks n LED light bar, and long enough for tracks and Boss V-plow.

I really don't want to winch in-out.

Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great input. I am now leaning towards 8.5'x14' with the extra 18" wall height. That will be an 7.5' opening and 8' interior height. Tandem axle w v-nose and side door.

That should give me enough width to "squeeze" in/out of the cab without taking off doors, tall enough with tracks n LED light bar, and long enough for tracks and Boss V-plow.

I really don't want to winch in-out.

Dan

I bought and built a 7wx14Lx7H trailer in October. I had (still have) a 2004 Tacoma. Even that was a bit much for the taco to pull. But I Needed larger because I also have break away beds so I can sleep in it at my lease in Georgia.

A few problems:
1) It's hell getting in and out of the ranger to load it.
2) It's not big enough

I'm now in the process of trading in my 3-1/2 month old 1200 mile trailer for a 20x8.5x7'H car hauler. Will work muuuccchhh better. And so will my 2015 super duty for towing it ;).

If you're sure you'll never use it for anything but that particular side by side, get it. If there's a snowballs chance in hades (and you can afford it/are able to tow it) go with something larger. The difference in what I paid for my 7x14x7 and the 8.5x20x7 is only 700$. Insane

·
Registered
762 Posts
Definitely go big.

To help you visualize, here is my 2011 800HD on a 6'x12' open trailer. Without the plow, against the front rail, leaves about 20" behind tailgate to ramp (I think). With plow, won't fit inside the 6' rail, so it rests on top, and about an inch from tailgate to ramp.

Only room for extras would be under or in the cargo box, or under the plow. If this were an enclosed trailer I'd have to pop the back window out and climb out, and the plow wouldn't fit without tearing out the sidewall struts. I know you said 7' wide, but loading and unloading will be a trick.

I bought this trailer last April to use without the plow. Then I decided a boss vee was what I wanted. I don't need an enclosed, but If I ever do, it will be big.

My $.02

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update - I decided to buy a 8.5' wide by 16' long enclosed with the extra 18" sidewalls for a rear door opening height of 7'6" and interior height of 8'. I will post pics once I pick it up in a couple weeks... It has dual axles, electric brakes, and a 2' vee front.

Reactions: Jaketye

·
Registered
973 Posts
Update - I decided to buy a 8.5' wide by 16' long enclosed with the extra 18" sidewalls for a rear door opening height of 7'6" and interior height of 8'. I will post pics once I pick it up in a couple weeks... It has dual axles, electric brakes, and a 2' vee front.
That's a great overall size 16' and leaves you options for toys, etc. I'm glade to see the trailer brakes, a must on trailers this size.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.