PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about trailering, specifically, with the Ranger 800 HD backed on, and a 400lb. snow plow at the back gate.

I did this today to see if it would fit on my 6x12' single axle trailer. 1st attempt was to drive it up forward, but with the V-plow all the way up and in Vee still hit the ramp and rails before the tires started up the ramp - a No Go situation. So, I thought I'd try the same thing backing it on, and this worked. With the rear tires
3" from the front rails, the reciever/ball hitch of the Ranger against the front rail, I can let the plow down (straight) to rest on top of the side rails, and the lift gate closes straight up and latches within an inch gap of the nose of the blade.

After this, I went to the tongue to see if I had lost tongue weight. It was hitched to my truck, and lifting near the coupler, I could barely lift the front of the trailer. I don't think I have a tongue weight issue, but, are there any other things I'm not concidering? BTW, I did unload after this without tying down and driving, just wanted to know it would fit.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
417 Posts
The only way to be certain that you will be OK is to weigh the Ranger trailer combination, then the tongue with the Ranger on the trailer. Tongue should be about 10 - 15% of total weight. This information will also tell you if your tow vehicle can handle the towing job.

This kind of stuff scares me. We have a neighbor that did a favor for another neighbor about 2.5 years ago. He pulled a rental Bobcat on a rental trailer to the neighbor's house. When the 2nd neighbor was done with the Bobcat he loaded it onto the trailer again too far to the rear. The lads took of for the rental company, got out onto the highway and almost up to speed, the trailer started to fish tail. They went off the road through a barb wire fence and onto a pasture. The tow truck was totaled, the trailer was OK, the Bobcat ended up on the other side of the road OK I think, a couple of the passengers had fairly minor injuries, but were in the hospital for a while. About nine monthes later the lawsuits started, the borrowing neighbor is suing the helping neighbor - results not in yet.

Please do your due diligence.

Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts