PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, my trans/rear diff on my '13 800 developed a loud whining noise a while back. It developed while on an out of state ride with my group. Come to find out, the trans and diff were low on fluid. How I don't know, it was serviced by me 2 days before we left, and yes, I'm sure it was full. Anyway, could this whining noise be the upper left side bearing in the trans? I'm about to pull it apart to do some other upgrades and would like to get rid of the aggravating noise. I'm also looking at doing the turf mode delete. I read on the 900's that you can weld it up instead of replacing with the 900 rzr spool. Does anyone have any insight on this? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Welcome to PRC.

I'm not sure about welding up the rear ("Lincoln locker"), but the upper left bearing is typically the one that fails first.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Do you have an 800 or a 900? I haven't heard of turf mode problems in the 800's like they have in the 900's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 2013 800. We've had quite a few in our area blow the turf mode junk through the cases on 800 ' s.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Dear God -Help me!
Just days before duck season opens now, and over last weekend I heard a loud pop, and had to limp the '13, 800 crew home in low. It will kick out in high.
I did hear some whining before and figured I would do a fluid change once I got back in from a short outing.
In some light slipping mud -it kicked out of high, and shortly after on dry ground, I heard the pop.
I put it in low, made sure was in 2wdr and babied it back to camp. Got a engine light that I haven't seen before.
Fixing to put the rear in the air, and check fluids... not optimistic.

Hoping its just minor internal parts... still VERY bad timing...

Someone hold my hand and make it feel better. :grief:

Any pointers to trans removal would be helpful -or a good used trans replacement. I've glanced over Jerry's thread -but tht's older trans...

Found this on the web for 2012 sportsman trans rebuild part 1:

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Sorry, but I have virtually no experience with the newer trannys. Based on the description, I'd be afraid that there might be a broken part rattling around in the tranny somewhere and would definitely not use it until you can tear it apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts