PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone, Boy I got me a mess now. On my 99 Ranger 6x6 the AWD light would not say on unless you hold back on the gear shifter.
So Mr. rubber hammer decided to make a little adjustment or 5 to keep the light on in high forward and reverse. The high forward does not mean that much to me but reverse does. So I would turn the rod a little and try it, yes, no, sometimes. I took the low forward loose because it would need adjusting also due to the nature of the engineering. I have been working on this shifter for 3 days and at this writing i don't have either forward or reverse. There must be some slop in the shifter box, if i take the HF/R rod off and manually shift on the transmission from neutral to reverse or any combination the R is not located in the spot it should be.

It is located between N & R if you go fully into R it sounds great, big click, R light is on and AWD light is on, start it up and it will not move in R. There is a very fine line between N & R for it to work and if and when you are in the sweet spot the AWD light does not illuminate. While doing all this it will screw on the neutral path between R & LF. Get the LF in the correct position so N light goes out and AWD light comes on and you have no reverse. I'm bout ready to match the ^a*# thing.

In the meantime i got a 2.5 YO worrying the blank out of me every 3 seconds about riding and or fixing it. He has to go see it several times a day. Man he loves this Ranger a lot more than me. The soon to be 6YO takes me for what I tell him, I'm working on it son, i'm trying to get it to go ect, ect.

Anyone have much experience with these shifters? This style may just be for the very early models with 2 seats and console between. I only know of the 99 and 2000 this way but i am not sure about the dash mounted shift or any other years. Bear in mind I haven't been around or seen any other years so i don't know the difference.

I could really use some guidance on this problem. I believe there is a problem in the shifter and maybe the tranny too. Any help is very much appreciated.
Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mornin all, I been thinking (Oh no) bout this linkage situation while riding the 2.5 YO on the riding lawn mower for a hour this AM, not quite the Ranger but he will take it and has to go look at the Ranger 10 or more times in this back killing ride. If the R position is off in the tranny is there a adjustment for the tranny to move the R sweet spot to its proper position? If so then I suppose its internal and if so how difficult is it to get to and adjust? Can ole rubber hammer do it without causing a mushroom shaped cloud ?

New gaskets, trans fluid etc? The place the the linkage rod (bell crank) and tranny meet has a nut on it would that do the trick? My concern is if I were to change the position there then there may not be a neutral. I guess I may have to get it back to where its 4 wheel forward and reverse and hope I don't/won't need the front wheel/AWD. What you guys think?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts