PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals! This is my first post to the forum since my wife and I bought a new 2013 Ranger Crew last year. We use it daily around our neighborhood, as well as light recreational riding with other family and friends. It only has 125 hours on it and I've completed all of the maintenance myself since purchased.

The problem I've encountered is with the rear diff/tranny. This evening, I removed the upper fill plug on the rear diff, followed by the drain plug, allowing the fluid to drain. when I removed the drain plug I noticed a significant amount of metal shavings on the plug magnet (~1/4" thick). The same thing occurred when I changed the fluid at 50 hours. Therefore, I assumed this was "normal" for this tranny/diff setup. Then...I removed the plug on the side of the differential used when checking the fluid level or refilling the case. This is what I found:

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0422.JPG

This certainly doesn't look normal, and I didn't notice it looking like this the first time I did a fluid change. I can't tell if these threads have broken since I bought the Ranger or if it's been that way since it left the factory. The depth of the thread is ~2X that of the plug itself. I don't see a need in having threads that deep to begin with. Anyone else encounter this? Appreciate the help!

Regards,

Todd

·
Registered
389 Posts
That's is puzzling I agree they don't need to be deeper for the plug to work but did it come like that or not. Most of the time when I change my oil there is a little bit of small shavings just on the plug.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
My concern would be "where are all the bits and pieces?" Did they all come out the drain plug? I'd be heading to the dealer for a wtf conversation.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
My concern would be "where are all the bits and pieces?" Did they all come out the drain plug? I'd be heading to the dealer for a wtf conversation.
Definitely. I can't imagine that is "normal".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a huge concern of mine. My guess would be they are ground up and on the paper towel I used to clean the magnet. The dealer doesn't open until Tuesday. I'll be stopping by there to talk with them about what I found. Not sure how they are going to "turn it", but I'd like to think they'll have to work with me some way, some how.

Todd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts