PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Administrator
7,761 Posts
Harvey would be a good way to go...but........those clutches will go 1500- 2000 hours if you keep em clean. You could take a new bearing and the clutch to a GOOD repair place and stay with the OEM.. Up to you of course...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thanks. I’ll call around tomorrow and see if I can find a good repair facility that can take care of it. Is there anything else I would need to purchase with the bearing if I find a local repair shop? As far as a new belt, an OEM Polaris is the way to go correct?

·
Administrator
7,761 Posts
For a 700 the OEM is the way to avoid shifting problems.. Just the bearing ...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
How much play is considered normal when steering before the wheels engage to turn? I have lots of play side to side when trying to steer the machine. If I lift up the front I can grab the wheel/tire on each side and move it side to side quite a bit. I can see the whole tie rod moving forward and back. Would this be the whole rack potentially bad or just the tie rods?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Can anyone confirm is this (Polaris 3211162) is the correct belt for a 2009 Ranger 700 XP? Having a tough time confirming which is the correct part number needed.

·
Administrator
7,761 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Thanks again, my dumb a$$ forgot to check the service manual. I just checked it and that’s correct, 3211118 is the one I need. I’ll take a look at all the front end stuff to see what’s going on.

Update: contacted my local Polaris dealer to see if the belt was in stock and they told me it has been succeeded by 3211162.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Anyone have a picture of how the throttle cable is routed under the seat on a ranger like mine? I looked in the service manual with no luck and believe that it is routed incorrectly at the moment.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Thanks. Mine was routed incorrectly. I removed the primary clutch and sure enough the bearing was seized up. Installed the mother clutcher and new polaris belt and now I can shift gears while the engine is running. Are these rangers suppose to be able to shift easily or are they a little hard to switch between gears?

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Alloy wheel

Automotive tire Gas Machine Rim Font

·
Administrator
7,761 Posts
Stink, shoot some GOOD spray lubricant on the shaft behind the bellcrank a couple three different times and then work
the shift lever to and fro.. Shoot it again... Make sure the AGL fluid in the transmission is clean.. Shoot it again and then work that shifter.

Reactions: StinkerBean

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I sprayed some good lubricant and didn't seem to help. I disconnected the cable from the transmission and moved the shifter, the cable felt pretty smooth. When I replaced the clutch I did not check for belt alignment, is that something that could cause issues with shifting if it is misaligned?

·
Administrator
7,761 Posts
Stink, so you disconnected the cable from the shift lever and the cable slid smoothly but the lever was still stiff to move by hand ? I would continue to shoot a good penetrant in along side the shift shaft because the alternative is to remove the shifter cover and clean it out in there and re-grease and make sure the detent spring is in place . 99 times out of 100 if you get some GOOD penetrant in along side that shift shaft (#9) it will shift smoothly as long as the SHIFT DOGS are not rounded off. I would check the belt alignment with the clutch cover off .to make sure the secondary clutch is not engaging while idling.
Font Plant Parallel Diagram Art

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
That is correct, the cable slid smoothly but once reattached to the lever (#26) it was not smooth. That lever sits supper close with no room in between to try and lube the shaft. Is it just having to continue spraying it and moving back and forth trying to get the lubricant to work it's way to the shaft?

·
Administrator
7,761 Posts
That is correct, the cable slid smoothly but once reattached to the lever (#26) it was not smooth. That lever sits supper close with no room in between to try and lube the shaft. Is it just having to continue spraying it and moving back and forth trying to get the lubricant to work it's way to the shaft?
Yes....... if the dogs are not gone and the spring is in place ...........it always works. What lubricant are you spraying in there ?

·
Administrator
7,761 Posts
Are you working the lever up and down after application ?

I always use
Liquid Wrench LED411 Lubricant & Penetrant

Spray.....work it........spray.......work it....

41 - 60 of 99 Posts