PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Tried removing the first axle which was the passenger side and no luck. It’s stuck in the differential. Any tips on removing it? Looks like rust is in there. Sprayed it with plenty of penetrating fluid.

·
Administrator
7,835 Posts
Stink, spray.soak.pull Repeat.... overnight soak with Liquid Wrench

·
Administrator
7,835 Posts
Then it is muffler clamp with a short chain on the cup tied to a slide hammer.. DO NOT PRY against the gear case..

·
Administrator
7,835 Posts
stink......research>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part Automotive wheel system Auto part

·
Administrator
7,835 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 · (Edited)
Thanks. Ended up renting a slide hammer and used some vise grips. Worked great. Took some time to get the front diff and prop shaft out. I was lucky that the roll pin was easily removed without the use of a air hammer.

Tire Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Any tips on removing the steering shaft from the rack and pinion? Been working on it for about 2 hours and can only get it about halfway off. Tried a pickle fork which helped but can’t get it completely off.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 · (Edited)
I finally got it off. Now to start installing all the replacement stuff tomorrow. My garage is a complete mess. Might be a dumb question but do I grease the u-joints before reinstalling the prop shaft?
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Hood Car

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Having a real difficult time trying to get the steering shaft onto the new rack boss. Any tips on getting it on? There’s not much room in there to do much on trying to apply pressure.

·
Administrator
7,835 Posts
Stink , if you are sure you have it lined up squarely, try some light taps on the joint with a hammer .. Did you remove the steering wheel nut ?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
Last question for the night, does the rack boss have to be fully bolted down to have it lined up squarely with the knuckle on the steering shaft? The directions that was sent with the rack boss didn’t say that. Watched some videos as they get the shaft installed first then bolt down the rack boss. I tried the old steering rack and it was also getting help up on the same spot. It did give me lots of issues when removing it yesterday.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Update: I got it on. But not by following the instructions. If I center the rack boss and straighten the steering wheel it wouldn’t line up. There is a grove on the shaft and I lined that up with the marks on the knuckle and it slide right in. Don’t think my steering wheel will be straight though so will have to pull it and straighten out.

81 - 100 of 113 Posts