PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 2011 RZR S 800 with some type of dual or backup battery system installed. Picked it up a year ago and dug into the battery setup when I was checking it over the other day. It has two of the 12v 18ah batteries along with a small round red button installed on the console behind the shift lever that the seller told me engaged a backup battery in the event the primary ran down. I think he originally had a big light bar, stereo, etc. on the rig. Anyway the wiring is a bit of a mess and I haven't had time to dig down into the frame and trace everything out. There were some loose battery connections so for now I've just used what I'm guessing were the original single battery wires. Based on the workmanship it doesn't look OEM but before I started trying to figure out if I wanted to use it or skip it I thought I'd ask if anyone has seen something similar and has a schematic or other information.

Thanks, Gary

·
Registered
999 Posts
Gary, we could really use some pictures of what you are talking about. I have a hunch on what the did, but pictures would definitely confirm this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point on the photos. I don't have any previous experience with these vehicles so I'm not sure yet what components are stock and which had been added. If you look carefully at the photos you may notice a positive cable that wasn't crimped and disconnected itself along with some thinner wiring for the added accessories that got disconnected. There was originally a (dead) battery in the holder next to the seat restraint bar along with the one you see in the photo. I had a heck of a time getting the dead battery out and had to resort to trimming some of the plastic. Not sure why the plastic was over the battery, I'm assuming that's the original spot for the factory battery since it did have a rubber strap? So you'll also see a couple of disconnected heavy ground cables. The red button wiring is secured behind the bar with those white ty-wraps. I didn't trace any of the wiring yet outside of the primary positive and negative so I could start it up. At this point I'm not sure if I want/need to clean up and fix some of the dual battery wiring issues or just stick with the single battery. The notion of having a feature that would allow me to use a backup battery in the event the primary ran dead does sound nice if what they tried to implement is easily fixable. Just let me know if you need additional info or photos. For all I know this could be a one of a kind hack.

P1080387.jpg P1080382.JPG P1080381.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts