PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

Turf Mode Failure - One Tech's Observations

Tags
turf mode
22K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Jungleman 
#1 ·
Ben Glover - "I was a tech at a Polaris dealer, we seen several blown trannys because of the turf mode. But on almost every single one the broke the cases there was a problem with the diff lock relay box and solenoid, they go bad or have a malfunction and it will allow it to kick to posi mode on its own. Usually you will hear it clicking in and out without flipping the switch. When u have that issue replace both the solenoid and relay block. That's on all rangers with turf mode 2011 and newer 500, 570, 800 and 900"

Post from Polaris Ranger Owners, FB group 4-14-16. (no connection to op)

#2 ·
I have to wonder if a manual cable operated modification might be the best solution.

Reactions: bigdanIA
#4 ·
I would say the diff lock relay box is the driver.

This is one of the drawbacks of having a device like this operate when power is removed. If there is slip or wheel spin and the failure occurs at that time this can happen. I'm really surprised though that there is enough failures occur when there is a lot of wheel spin occurring. Maybe I don't drive like others!

#6 ·
Before you go out and buy a spare solenoid ($200+) and driver relay box ($40), be aware that very few of them fail. We have had a couple of reports here on PRC of failures, but that really is to be expected--we report problems, not non-problems! :wink-new: PLENTY of reports of guys going thousands of miles on there machines without a hiccup! If there is a failure of either component, the diff will just (in most cases) just go into to 2WD, but the machine will be 100% drive-able and will get you home or to the trailer where you can perform the parts swap at your leisure--just don't race it around your local golf course until you've replaced 'em; kinda hard on a putting green!

#7 ·
My 2013 XP900 with just over 11,000 miles just started clicking like a solenoid going in and out, and I notice that when I am supposed to be in turf mode it will sometimes be in 2wd. Other times okay for a bit. Would that be just the relay box, hopefully?
Or better to replace both?
Thanks.

#11 ·
No use blindly replacing the solenoids when you can back them out and hit them (momentarily) with 12 volts to check function. If the plunger pops out...........pass go and save $200.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.