PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

I'm assuming my turf mode failed on me the other day. I didnt hear no noises or anything while riding (loud music though)
But after getting home and inspecting there is a dime sized hole on the driver side beside the fill hole.

All gears still work. I'm in the process of pulling the transmission right now. Hiw much am I looking at to rebuild this thing?

I'm still deciding whether I have enough expertise to pull it apart and look for my self. Is everything intact inside the case? When I split it will it all stay in place? Except for broken pieces obviously haha

I think I read somewhere that people are saying a 2016 ranger highlifter 900 tran will directly bolt in and work with my clutches. Can someone confirm this? This might be one of my options. It almost seems to make more sense to go this route and have a bit beefier reverse chain and deleted turf mode.

Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Toxic 21, Greg, is probably one of your best resources for your questions on this, you might try to PM him about it. He may even build one for you.

I may be mistaken, but I believe the 2020 transmissions have been modified to be all gear, no reverse chain and use spider gears like an automotive differential instead of a planetary gear set to achieve Turf Mode. It may be that the new transmission will bolt in in place of your current transmission. It may also be that you can buy the internals of the new transmission and transplant them to your case, which brings up the next issue: Will you buy a new case half or try a weld repair on the one you have? I believe a good, competent welder could probably repair your case but finding one and how much it will cost is something you'll have to look into to compare costs.

I think that if I were in your situation and wanted to retain Turf Mode (which is an important feature to me) I would pony up for the new transmission if I could find the beans to afford it. In the long term I believe it would be the best solution with no more worries about reverse chains or the sometimes troublesome, and damage causing when it fails, planetary gear set.

I just got an email from SATV a couple of days ago that they are apparently offering transmissions with stronger reverse chains and other tough components to resist failures. You might check with them to learn about their offerings.
Following is a link to SATV offerings for RZRs, they may have others:
Polaris RZR XP 1000 Complete Heavy-Duty Transmission

1 - 3 of 3 Posts