PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of replacing all the original bushings and bearings with ones from Super Dave. The OEM bolt in the upper shock metal sleeve/bushing seems to have a bit of play. This is with the shock/coil off the Ranger, just placing the bolt into the shock to test for fitment. Does the play matter at all? When the bolt is tightened, is the shock mount holding onto the metal sleeve and therefore the play that I'm seeing with the bolt in the sleeve isn't a factor? I can't tell if the bolt is worn and needs to be replaced.

Otherwise, the install seems to be going OK.

What prompted this project is that someone noticed the driver rear had a bit of a lean to it and suggested that the bearings and/or bushings may be worn. With the tires off the ground there was a small amount of movement at 9-3 and 12-6 positions. Not a lot, but enough that I thought it might be time to give the Ranger some TLC. Also, the rear passenger suspension had recently developed a nasty squeak. So far, I've not found any major wear in the bushings. The inner bushing on the rear lower control arm is showing some wear between the plastic bushing and the metal control arm, which I didn't expect to see. Like the plastic bushing is rotating instead of the metal sleeve. None of the bolts have been "stuck".

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The front shock has a similar issue. With the wheel off, when I lift on the lower a-arm, I can see the shocks move in the mounting brackets. I can hear a slight clunk too. Tightening the bolts helps a little bit but the amount of torque to make that difference ( > 60 ft lbs) is 50% higher than the OEM torque spec of 40 ft lbs.

I checked the diameter of the shock mount bolt and it was 9.89mm. A replacement bolt from Ace Hardware would have been even smaller than that, so I see no reason to replace the OEM bolt with an aftermarket one. I check a couple different grades, including grade 8. No SAE size bolt came close to fitting any better.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
If the shock bolts were wore it will be an easy to tell. On mine I can see noticeable wear in the shock bushings, Polaris doesn't show these to be replaceable, any idea of where I can get them? 16/900

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
If the shock bolts were wore it will be an easy to tell. On mine I can see noticeable wear in the shock bushings, Polaris doesn't show these to be replaceable, any idea of where I can get them? 16/900
Enter the Polaris shock part number on eBay and it'll come up with some listings for the bushings only.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I were to replace the bolts, I would be reluctant to go OEM. In my opinion, Polaris made a lousy decision to use the bolts they did. The threads of the bolts are inside the metal sleeve. Maybe that's the best they could find. A bolt that is smooth throughout the length of the sleeve would seem to be a better way to go to me. If the bolts at Ace Hardware weren't a smaller diameter I would use those, but since they're smaller, they're off my list. I may swing by the local Polaris dealer and see what if they have any replacement bolts and check the diameter.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I used Garage Products shock bushings

Reactions: RJ

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went by my local Polaris dealer but they didn't have any bolts in stock. I then stopped at a Fastenal today and checked the diameter of their bolts. It was about 9.98mm, which is better than the current diameter of the OEM bolt and way better than an Ace Hardware bolt. Unfortunately, they didn't have the right length and thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts