PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of those light weight aluminum Harbor Freight 1.5 ton floor jacks. I don't think it will jack up high enough to get the wheels off the ground on my 2017 Ranger 900XP. What can I use on the jack to get me more lift? What do others use?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use a 8" lenght of 4x4 to get the wheels up and jack stands on both sides to secure while working.

Reactions: Rockmart ranger

·
Registered
372 Posts
Same here fender. If 4" isn't enough, I'll jack it up until the wheels are almost off the ground, then lower lift the stand 4"x4" on end 8" in length, the jack it up all they way

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I've got 4 blocks of 6 X 10 rough sawn white pine about 20" long. White pine makes them light weight for their size, 10" width makes them suitable to go under a jack or under a tire it I want the whole vehicle raised up to change oil or work on something underneath. You might find some cutoffs like these where construction of a timber frame structure is taking place. 3 stacked up can replace 2 jack stands at one end of the vehicle.

·
Registered
611 Posts
But to actually answer the question I found a 4000 lb floor jack at Tractor Supply that has a 9 1/2"x12" flat plate that is perfect for using a 4x4 as others have mentioned. I've used this jack daily for the last four years.

·
Registered
362 Posts
6k Mohawk twin post clear floor lift
Too old , bad knees and back made me do it

·
Registered
611 Posts
6k Mohawk twin post clear floor lift
Too old , bad knees and back made me do it
It's the best tool investment I've ever made. Most expensive too.

When I bought my shop i made sure it had tall ceilings so I was able to get a tall lift. My lift is also a two post clear floor and I'm able to walk under almost any SxS without stooping. A side benefit is being able to thoroughly inspect the undercarriage. I amazes me the debris and damage that I find.

·
Registered
362 Posts

When I bought my shop i made sure it had tall ceilings so I was able to get a tall lift. My lift is also a two post clear floor and I'm able to walk under almost any SxS without stooping. A side benefit is being able to thoroughly inspect the undercarriage. I amazes me the debris and damage that I find.
I did the same thing when I planned my garage one bay is tall to accommodate the lift and the other bay has a normal height ceiling which give me storage space over it.
I can stand up under it ( 6' 4") and as a bonus I can put my other rides on there

·
Registered
611 Posts
I did the same thing when I planned my garage one bay is tall to accommodate the lift and the other bay has a normal height ceiling which give me storage space over it.
I can stand up under it ( 6' 4") and as a bonus I can put my other rides on there
I also thought about the "added bonus". I obviously didn't need a lift with a 7000 lb capacity for Rangers, Mules, etc but I wanted to be able to work on my 1/2 ton and my wife's car when needed.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts

My shop is in my basement garage beneath our Master bedroom. I don't think my wife will agree to giving up half the bedroom so I can put in a lift. The garage has 9' ceilings so I guess I could install a lift that does about what my jack does. Just not worth it in my case.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have a Sears Aluminum Yellow Motorcycle jack. I don’t think they make them any more, but most motorcycle lifts will lift securely and high enough.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have one of those light weight aluminum Harbor Freight 1.5 ton floor jacks. I don't think it will jack up high enough to get the wheels off the ground on my 2017 Ranger 900XP. What can I use on the jack to get me more lift? What do others use?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I use this. I throw a couple feet of 4x6 across the top and it lifts easily with my 3” lift and 30” tires. It also locks at certain heights for safety. The double rail system makes it incredibly stable as well.One of the best things I bought for my shop.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts

I use this. I throw a couple feet of 4x6 across the top and it lifts easily with my 3” lift and 30” tires. It also locks at certain heights for safety. The double rail system makes it incredibly stable as well.One of the best things I bought for my shop.
That's a pretty nice unit. My Ranger 570 Full Size weighs 1265 Dry, say 1400 pounds with added accessories and full of fuel. If the rated capacity of that lift is accurate it should lift the entire vehicle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts