PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a snow ex v plow installed on 2022 xp 1000, when I raise the plow, battery Voltage drops way down and ranger stalls out. All other plow movements make voltage drop but ranger doesn’t stall. Is this a plow issue or do I need better battery? what does everyone recommend

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes , the weight of the plow and winch combo is drawing so much the charging system is over taxed. Install the biggest battery that will fit or a dual battery system. I believe the v plows are like 3 times as heavy as a straight blade. How much light draw or other other accessories do you have taxing the system? Some toss on those big ass light bars without thinking of sizing your accessories so machine can handle it all

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
4,101 Posts
You may have a few issues. A weak battery combined with a heavy electrical load can stall the engine because it robs the ECU, EFI and ignition of needed electricity to run the engine. Electricity takes the path of least resistance so a high amp draw accessory would provide that path.

Poor connections/bad grounds may cause issues.

A bigger battery might be a band aid that will provide the extra power to operate the plow and run the engine but if the charging system doesn't have time to replace the current used between plow operations eventually the bigger battery will become weak and the end result will be what you have now.

If your charging system isn't up to snuff or your battery is internally shorted the charging system can't keep up with the total current requirements and the engine dies. Fully charge your battery and load test it.

It's possible that your plow has a problem causing it to draw too much current. An ammeter can diagnose that issue.

Test your charging system for proper output. Remember, charging systems on Rangers have no where near the output of those in most any on road vehicle. It's also a fact that the charging system doesn't put out it's rated current at idle but only at or above a specific RPM. This means that long periods of low RPM running combined with high use of electrical accessories (plow, lights, amplifiers, heater fans etc.) depletes the battery, which isn't good for the battery.

Running a bad battery is a sure way to shorten the life of your charging system (regulator & stator) [Expensive].

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
‘17 Ranger 570 Midsize
1,318 Posts
I don't know how big of a battery you have or what brand winch. Some winches are more efficient than others.

Also, look at the winch cable path to make sure you have it setup right.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Did you go directly to the battery or try to run through the pulse bar?

·
Registered
2008 Polaris Ranger 700 XP 4x4 EFI
136 Posts
I just transferred over a polaris straight plow, with electric/hydraulics to a new model , It connects to pulse bar for power and ground. Doesnt have much of a draw on the electrical system at all. What brand and model of plow did you get?

·
Registered
136 Posts
It’s a 2022 Polaris ranger and a snow ex v plow
Wow, that is a heavy plow and mount combo. It requires HD Springs. In most of the pictures it is showing it on diesel equipped machines and small tractors. I just used their power match on their web site and they don't recommend that plow for your model. They recommend the lighter straight blade. I also looked at the instructions for the wiring harness. They use a 200 Amp fuse. That hydraulic unit is pulling a huge load. Its designed for a machine with a larger electrical capacity.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I put the HD springs on it, unit doesn’t squat at all. Just have to figure out the electrical system
Yeah, I edited my post after looking at the wiring instructions. That hydrualic motor is pulling to large of a load for your electrically system. That type of motor is meant for larger charging systems. Its the type of motor that is on truck and tractor plow systems. Snow ex doesnt even recommend that plow for your Machine on their website. It recommend the lighter straight plow as does polaris.

·
Registered
136 Posts
For the price you paid for that plow you could have bought 2 polaris plows. The polaris plows mount to the stock front bumper so the only add weight would have been the plow its self.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a Polaris plow, winch lift and power angle on a previous ranger hated how slow it was. I’ll probably do the dual battery conversion.
When I look on snow ex website it lists mounts for that plow/machine combo

·
Registered
2021 Polaris Ranger XP1000 Northstar Ultimate
36 Posts
Just got a snow ex v plow installed on 2022 xp 1000, when I raise the plow, battery Voltage drops way down and ranger stalls out. All other plow movements make voltage drop but ranger doesn’t stall. Is this a plow issue or do I need better battery? what does everyone recommend
jlb2500hd, where are they drawing the power from? I had the local Western Plow dealer install the Western Impact V Plow on my Polaris XP 1000 Crew cab last year. the first time I went to use it I was having similar issues. The voltage would drop way down and nearly kill the engine.

Turns out that the dealer DID NOT order the wiring harness for the Crew Cab model and they used the short harness intended for a single cab. Since it was so short, they connected it to the power terminal supplying the Pulse Bar.

I contacted Western & they confirmed there was a harness made for the Crew Cabs and the power HAS to be drawn from the battery. The Western dealer ordered the correct cable kit, I installed the harness myself to make sure it was done correctly. All of the problems disappeared once things were wired the right way.

It looks like your Snow Ex is identical (weight is even the same) to the Western Impact except for the color. I added the Blade Stop Kit to keep from blowing out the cylinders and I also purchased a set of the center adjustable cutting edges and installed them n the outside ends of the plow cutting edge so any curbing will wear on those instead of rounding off the actual cutting edges. (Not shown in the attached photo)

Vehicle Car Plant Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you stay with this plow setup, Id recommend at least install a dual battery kit, and a couple Odessy batterys.
ODS-AGM42MJA
I have this battery on my 2016 XP 900 and it is a direct, physical replacement. Good battery.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts