PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been to Lake City, CO or Ouray, CO? We are looking at going to this area late June next year. Any suggestions on trails, things to see and do in the area? I already have the Trails Guide book for the area.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Go on YouTube and print: lake city colorado vacation off road trails
I found tons of videos, also:

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lake City is part of the Alpine loop, the trails also connect to Silverton. The best part of both towns is that they provide access to the trails and you can ride in town, however, in Silverton there is a restricted route. If you stay in Lake City, it is a 20-25 mile ride either over Engineer or Cinnamon pass to get to the other trails. We have camped on both sides and prefer Silverton side, but Silverton is really busy during the fourth of July, dusty and rude people, and Lake City seems more civilized during that time. There is a mine tour at the Old Hundred, the Silverton Museum is worth seeing (I'm not a museum person), and the Durango Silverton Train. Animas Fork is a ghost town and can be driven to by Truck (bumpy road) and all is right out of Silverton. The town usually has a fireworks display if conditions allow. You would have to trailer your ride to the trails from Ouray. The highway that connects Silverton to Ouray is called the Million Dollar Highway and has Spectacular views

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. The wife, and I, really want to ride the train. We have gone ahead and reserved a VRBO house between Durango and Silverton, for the last week of June. I've decided we will probably trailer to Silverton and ride out of there. We would really like to do the Alpine loop. I think I have read that if you start in, and return to, Silverton its like 78 miles. That may too long for some in my group. I have read that Lake City doesn't allow OHV in the city limits but there are shuttle services. I've been looking at some maps and guide books, seems like there are plenty of shorter trips to take the family on. The loop may be a long day for just the guys to take, grandma and the grandkids may to want sit that one out. DH357, my son-in-law, is going too.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Gemery, We're staying in Silverton mid to late July of this year. Its legal to ride through Lake City to complete the Alpine Loop. Make sure any kids going along on the trip have helmets because all children are required to wear a helmet even in a side by side. Make sure you ride Yankee Boy Basin, Governor Basin and Imogene Pass, the trail head is near Ouray, its very beautiful, but as early as your going it may not be open. Most of the passes are open by the 4th of July, so if your going in late June you may run into snow. I've been there several times, so if you have any questions give me a holler.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you sir, We had a blast last year, rode out of Pitkin a couple of days. The rear cage fits the 570 perfectly. I was able to put some snaps on my poly roof and the tarp worked too. I used two heavy dog collars to tie the two roll cages together and keep the bed from dumping accidently. View attachment 124507

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try that again on advanced
20180709_100724.jpg

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Where do you get info in atving vacations in Sliverton ?? Mother is planning a vacation and would like to ride there after seeing the video. Fly in and rent a sxs. They must have rentals somewhere there.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Where do you get info in atving vacations in Sliverton ?? Mother is planning a vacation and would like to ride there after seeing the video. Fly in and rent a sxs. They must have rentals somewhere there.

·
Registered
754 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One I ran accross was Rock Pirates Back country adventures, in Silverton. They have rentals and guided tours.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Steve I'm gonna be in your neighborhood in May. Mother was surfacing airline tickets and found Portland to Raleigh/Durham for $120. round trip. She booked it. So were going to cruise around. Mt Mitchell, head to Pegion Forge, ect..I haven't been to NC in like 7 years so looking forward to biscuits and gravy.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still making plans for next June, Has anyone rode the Alpine Loop? Silverton to Lake City to Ouray and back? Wondering what to expect for time, conditions etc.

·
Registered
628 Posts
You can ride Silverton to Lake City over Engineer Pass and Cinnamon Pass. From Silverton I would expect roughly an 80 mile day. A majority of the riding is smooth gravel roads but if you stop and check out the sites it will be a long day.

Unless you're street legal theirs no good way to connect Ouray to Silverton. So if you're wanting to ride from Ouray check out Yankee Boy Basin, Governor Basin and Imogene Pass. Those trails will take a day to ride and are very scenic. The drive from Silverton to Ouray on Hwy 550 (the million dollar highway) is narrow and curvy, it can be pretty slow going if you get behind an RV or theirs road construction.

Hopefully, that answers your question! Have a good time!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can ride Silverton to Lake City over Engineer Pass and Cinnamon Pass. From Silverton I would expect roughly an 80 mile day. A majority of the riding is smooth gravel roads but if you stop and check out the sites it will be a long day.

Unless you're street legal theirs no good way to connect Ouray to Silverton. So if you're wanting to ride from Ouray check out Yankee Boy Basin, Governor Basin and Imogene Pass. Those trails will take a day to ride and are very scenic. The drive from Silverton to Ouray on Hwy 550 (the million dollar highway) is narrow and curvy, it can be pretty slow going if you get behind an RV or theirs road construction.

Hopefully, that answers your question! Have a good time!
Thank you sir, I'm thinking we could make it in a 8 to 9 hour long day using Engineer Pass and Cinnamon Pass, but my daughter-in-law likes to check out way too many things and spends time on side trips. May have to do it on a day they don't want to ride. :) I was told that you can't drive through Lake City, but there are "transport" companies that will trailer you.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thank you sir, I'm thinking we could make it in a 8 to 9 hour long day using Engineer Pass and Cinnamon Pass, but my daughter-in-law likes to check out way too many things and spends time on side trips. May have to do it on a day they don't want to ride. :) I was told that you can't drive through Lake City, but there are "transport" companies that will trailer you.
I've had friends ride through Lake City in the summer of 2017 and 2018. They used hwy 149 to complete the loop to san cristobal lake and then over cinnamon pass. My understanding is that no ohv's are allowed to pass the san cristobal lake turn off on hwy 149.

here's a list of ohv rules for Hinsdale County (Lake City) and then San Juan County (which includes Silverton).

https://hinsdalecountysheriff.com/ohv-regulations

http://sanjuancountycolorado.us/uploads/3/4/0/4/34042608/2017-02_ohv_ordinance_adopted_5-10-17.pdf

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
About this Discussion
49 Replies
10 Participants
dh357
PRC Polaris Ranger Club
PRCforum is the best Polaris forum community to discuss RZR 1000, Crew 900, PRC Ranger Club, XP 900, RZR XP 4 900, RZR 570, HD, 170, RZR-S, XP 900, RZR XP 4 900, ORV, side by side, SSW and off-road information.
Full Forum Listing