PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
We leave Friday. Temps in MO should be in the mid 90's! I'm ready for a cool down! I've been looking at a lot of trail reports and I believe most of the major passes should be open soon. I haven't heard if Cinnamon Pass or Imogene are open. But I did hear San Juan County has a dozer working to try and clear the huge avalanche run between Eureaka campground and Animas Forks. I've got a sled packed to carry in the back of the Crew just in case we find some good snow for sledding! LOL

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
100_3072.JPG
This is San Juan county's dozer at California Pass. When we were there they had stopped work on CR 2 just past the Eureka site, before Animas forks, due to the large avalanche. We were told that the avalanche was 100 feet deep when they first found it in April. The county was now focusing on going the other way, over California pass. We were also told that a dozer was working on the Lake City side too.

Stony Pass was open, Maggie and Minnie Gulches were open about 1/2 way up. Ophir is also open but we didn't go there because we would have had to trailer out of Silverton and parking is limited along 550. You should still have plenty of places to ride and lots of snow to play in.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
If you are looking for current, updated, information, call Rock Pirates Rentals in Silverton. We did and they were very helpful and gave us lots of current trail information. Friendly helpful folks.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thanks for the info! I just read cinnamon pass is open. Waiting to hear on Imogene. I found a guy on FB that is a dozer operator for San Juan County and he posts updates almost everyday about what trails have been cleared. He said the avalanche up county RD 2 near Animas Forks probably won't get cleared this summer. His name is Michael Maxfield. Real nice guy. You can watch his videos on FB.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
We leave Friday. Temps in MO should be in the mid 90's! I'm ready for a cool down! I've been looking at a lot of trail reports and I believe most of the major passes should be open soon. I haven't heard if Cinnamon Pass or Imogene are open. But I did hear San Juan County has a dozer working to try and clear the huge avalanche run between Eureaka campground and Animas Forks. I've got a sled packed to carry in the back of the Crew just in case we find some good snow for sledding! LOL
How was your trip? We haven't seen any pictures yet, you're keeping us hanging :)

·
Registered
628 Posts
We had a great trip. We've been going to Colorado for the last 10 years and I've never seen so much snow. Every ride we encountered snow blocking the trail, avalanche debris covering the trail or on our last days ride near Imogene Pass a giant boulder the size of a side by side had fallen and was blocking the trail. While it was a little disappointing not being able to go where we would normally go otherwise, it was really interesting seeing all the snow and being reminded how much mother nature is in control. Water was running everywhere and there was no shortage of waterfalls. Had the counties not stepped up clearing all the passes none of the trails would have been open. I did read San Juan did get the giant avalanche cleared towards Animas Forks about mid August.

Here's a few pictures.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Glad you had a good time. The snow was amazing and the avalanches definitely showed us that mother nature is in charge. We are planning on going to Lake City next year around July 4th. My grandkids are still loving the rear cage, thanks again.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts