PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a 800 S LE and have put 25 hours on it. Yesterday I noticed a small amount if oil residue around the vent in top of the valve cover. Is this normal. Thought about trying to tighten the two bolts? Or might take it in for a warranty service? Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
It's pretty common. I was having the same issue and tightening those bolts up about every 100 hours until I put some blue Loktite on them.....problem solved. :wink:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, my two bolts on top were not very tight. Also I noticed a small slit in the hose that connects the breather to the air filter housing. I backed out the bolts and added blue loktite. I thought about adding a mechanical hose clamp instead of the spring hose clamp and using a couple of zip ties to hold the slit in the hose together? Would that hurt anything?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Trey,

The slit in the breather hose is there on purpose. If you live in a cold climate you should leave it as is from the factory. It was placed there to ensure that if condensation froze in the hose it would not block the breather. Warmer climates can replace the hose with regular heater hose of the correct size without any issues.

Mike

·
Registered
67 Posts
is this located on passenger side above rear tire? i noticed a build up of black on my new "s" also, with 60 miles

·
Registered
1 Posts
Damaged or split breather hose.

Trey,

The slit in the breather hose is there on purpose. If you live in a cold climate you should leave it as is from the factory. It was placed there to ensure that if condensation froze in the hose it would not block the breather. Warmer climates can replace the hose with regular heater hose of the correct size without any issues.

Mike
I'm sorry but this is not true. If you have a slit in the breather hose then it needs to be replaced. The stock breather hose should be connected to the breather filter in the air cleaner and slit in the hose would mean that some of the air moving in and out of that breather hose would be dirty air or moist air from the atmosphere surrounding your engine which could cause you to get dust into the crankcase breather system. that dust can then build up on the reed valve and cause it to malfunction letting dirt into your engines crankcase and eventually premature engine failure. If you have a faulty hose that cut or split then it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I'm sorry but this is not true. If you have a slit in the breather hose then it needs to be replaced. The stock breather hose should be connected to the breather filter in the air cleaner and slit in the hose would mean that some of the air moving in and out of that breather hose would be dirty air or moist air from the atmosphere surrounding your engine which could cause you to get dust into the crankcase breather system. that dust can then build up on the reed valve and cause it to malfunction letting dirt into your engines crankcase and eventually premature engine failure. If you have a faulty hose that cut or split then it needs to be replaced.
Good catch KC !

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I have never seen a slit hose on a Ranger though........ever.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I don't know about the Ranger and RZR but Polaris actually did do that on some Sportsmans. Lol
I taped over mine since I would never have a problem with the freezing.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The first couple of years of the Yamaha Viking had a similar problem on a few vehicles that would blow out the dip stick and then the oil.

I don't remember what Yamaha's fix was.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts