PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Crew as a dealer demo so it had many accessories and options already installed. The windshield is the Rangerware fixed windshield with the dual-wipers and LED lights. Like any fixed unit, the low pressure area behind the windshield results in a serious amount of dust swirl this time of year. In an effort to get some air on the back side of the windshield, I searched for some vents I could install in the lower portion of the fiberglass frame.

I looked at the clear aircraft style vents some have used in their poly windshields but didn't like the idea of the clear vents in the solid fiberglass. I located some solid black vents from a couple different vendors. The vents from Summit come with metal brackets and hose to use with their heater set-ups. The vents from Nostalgic Air Parts allow you to buy the vents only. If you don't mind the extra hardware, the Summit kit ends up being about $5.00 cheaper.

Summit: Summit Heater Vent Kit
Nostalgic Air Parts: Nostalgic Air Vents Only

The vents are made from some fairly heavy plastic and have a nice grain finish. They come assembled and you have to separate the parts prior to install.

-

I had installed two of these vents already and was impressed with the amount of air they allowed in. They also completely block the air when they are in the closed position.

-

I put masking tape on the fiberglass frame so I can measure and mark where I will mount the vents. The tape also serves to protect the finish of the fiberglass from chipping when you drill. As with any project, measure twice, drill once. I used a 3" hole saw and just really take my time and apply only light steady pressure. Let the hole saw do its job without forcing it. I then lightly sand the edges of the opening to clear any strands of glass or sharp edges.

-

I chose to trim the back side of the vents to remove the hose adaptor assemblies. This allows a much cleaner look on the inside and lets you access the louvers from the back side to open or close them from the inside of the cab. I used a Dremel style tool then sanded the edges smooth.

-

Install the frame of the vents into the opening first. They are held in place by four clips that are molded into the frame. There are holes in the frame that you could put screws through to hold the frame in place, but my experience is the clips work more than fine on their own. The outside/front of the vent then snaps into the frame to complete the install.

-

I have been very impressed at how much air is now vented into the cab. I would estimate it has cut down on the dust swirl by about 60%. I could always add more vents, but I think four will suffice and it still looks good. With the hose adaptors trimmed off, I can easily open and close the vents from inside the cab.

-

·
Registered
677 Posts
Looks great, a must have mod for dust and heat with a full windshield.

·
Super Moderator
6,815 Posts
excellent, very cool idea.

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
Great idea, JC. I gotta look into something like that for my steel cab.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ran
It looks like it should work on a steel cabs.

JC, do you think there would be any problem with these on a steel cab? I'd love to solve some of the dust problem and these look like they would really help.
Dave

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think they would work fine. Having the right size hole saw is key. With the metal cab you might find using the holes in the frame and screws to hold the vents tight might be needed. But with the proper size hole saw, the clips in the frame work perfect all by themselves. As I look at your cab in your signature photo, not sure you have enough of a frame width to have the vents fit. You would need a 4" wide frame area to fit the vents.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
I have a 2009 Ranger 700 with the Curtis Cab made for Polaris during that time frame. The door windows are solid, and nobody (Polaris or Curtis Cab) knows of a source for sliding or any type of opening windows for that model. I've been to numerous dealers and glass repair shops looking for a solution to allow air flow. I don't have enough room to use your method for venting, but desperately need a solution. I guide hunters through the fall. The weather is too unpredictable to leave the doors off (from hot to raining/hailing, to snow and freezing.) Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

LarryC

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Tricky part will be where your intake will be located. Plenty of choices for ducting and valves from a junk yard or hardware store. It would nice to have the vents installed on your dash like the f150's have. I believe they will clip in also. Similar to the ones JC installed and they will spin 360. Not sure if JC's do or don't. Cool project!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts