PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of us with the 14' 900's have this issue. I'm trying to find a fix. Here is a shot of the clutches while the whistling noise is happening:

FAST FORWARD TO 1:00 FOR THE NOISE

·
Registered
29 Posts
Any luck...Mine does it also 35hrs on it still doing it,,,let me know what you find,,,driving me crazy...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I WILL be keeping everyone updated. Going to be going into the clutch a lot in the near future. Its driving me crazy too. Working closely with a shop who supplies QSC and Team products who is also very knowledgeable about clutching. We both believe its something going on with the secondary at that 3000ish RPM state. As of right now I have installed a complete QSC replacement primary (makes the stock primary look like a tinker toy) with the stock sorting and while performance improved the noise was still there. He is sending me a complete clutch kit and I am going to do the following:

1) Put primary clutch/sorting back in and install clutch kit secondary spring in the secondary.

If no fix:

2)Install the rest of the clutch kit in the stock primary

If no fix:

3)Install QSC primary with full clutch kit

If no fix:

4) Install different belts both new and from a higher mileage machine

If no fix:

5) Install stock primary/sorting and install different secondary, likely a Team Tied and throw the rapid reaction one like a Frisbee against the wall (jk)

If not fix:

Mess with the clutch kit springs and weights until the noise is eliminated

New machines should NOT do things like this, and there are higher mileage rangers out there that still have this noise.

EDIT: Supposedly its not a prominent on the EBS models, and I believe that secondary is the HD Version, which is also what leads us to believe its something with the Team "rapid reaction" secondary.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've researched them a little bit. In regards to the Duraclutch secondary, isn't that basically just a Team Tied secondary?

I know they offer Primary Replacements as well but I already have a QSC one and its a monster. Feel the issue lies in the Rapid Reaction secondary that come on the 14+ Ranger 900's and not the primary anyways.

EDIT: Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but isnt the "Duratech" just a Team Tied secondary and a Team Rapid Reaction primary with a Dalton Clutch kit??????

·
Registered
389 Posts
The play on the shaft is not a good thing. That will eventually lead to failure of the seals or bearing. Mine does it also and its a 2013 model. The Japanese machines seem to be put together a little better on the clutch engineering.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^Yours makes the noise or has some play on the secondary?

It really shouldn't move more than 1/16" at most, its the shaft moving in and out of the trans. Hard to tell in the video but it does not move as much as 1/16"

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bump .......

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's my poor hearing, but I've seen lots of Rangers with this noise. Some with clutch kits,some stock.
I know both my 05 and my 09 Rangers made a whistling sound. It just seemed normal. I guess I'd have to hear these in person to see if they were the same.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dad's 13' Ranger 800 midsize doesn't do it nor does my uncles 12' Ranger 800. Got the opportunity to ride in a 14' 900 with 1400 miles on it and there was no noise. Called the service dept. at two different dealerships and both reps new exactly what I was talking about but neither had a remedy at the moment. They assured me Polaris is well aware of the problem.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FIXED

After figuring out that the stock secondary was the culprit I started to save up for a different secondary and.....

Replaced the POS "rapid reaction" junk stock secondary with a Team Tied secondary. Had Ryan from RVS have his way with it so different spring and helix angle as well (just for performance) Got it all bolted on last night and took it for a nice long test ride. The sound is 100% gone !!!!

Reactions: trog and jungleman

·
Registered
95 Posts
The play (float) on the secondary shaft is necessary for proper clutch alignment under varying loads...............

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to know thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Duraclutch does the trick too

1 - 15 of 15 Posts