PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the itch this summer and traded in my 07 700 on a new 900.

I researched, and drove many. For some odd reason I stayed on board and bought another Polaris.

I'm a hunter. I bought it for reliability. It has to perform.

With that said,

I need to do something about water. If it sprinkles my belt gets wet (awesome I tell ya). With duck season in full swing, and the nature of hunting in water, this won't work.

Can anyone give me a step by step guide on what vents/holes/poor designs I need to address? I'm not going up to my seat, but the floor boards will see a little water. I'm needing to do something so that rain won't stop my progress. Walking and leaving a 14K dollar machine because it wouldn't go has gotten old. Machine only has 60 miles, and I've walked at least 5 already. Not exactly the plan when purchased.

I'd of never thought I'd have to spend money to use the thing, but it looks like that's what's going to happen. What all needs to be done to get it useuable? Sadly, I don't have a concrete road to my places and need to get this addressed.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Check your connections. I've been in water ~2' deep and the belt never had a problem. However, like you, the rain did cause belt problems on mine. All I had to do was open the drain plug, wait 5 minutes, then run the engine for 5 minutes and it was all back to normal.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Have you tried to get the dealer to fix it? It's probably something simple like a torn or missing gasket to the clutch housing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The best solution is to snorkel it. The design of the intakes on these machines is just dumb. If your going to snorkel it there are several kits or you can just DIY. I did mine for about $80. You will need to seal the clutch cover both the outer and inner cover. Which means pulling the clutches. Be careful when doing the inner cover where it meats the cam shaft on engine. If you use to much rtv it will flake off and work its way into your shaft seal. This will cause it to leak oil and you have to replace the seal which is a real pita. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
.....where it meats the cam shaft on engine.....
I'm pretty sure he means crank shaft....not cam. But yes, it is possible for that seal to leak and it's virtually impossible to tell without removing the primary clutch. Had that happen on my '06 XP.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My bad crank. All that's in between that inner cover and the engine is a crapy foam seal. It will deff leak if submerged.

·
Registered
656 Posts

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I am with Jerry, sounds like the housing was never sealed correctly.
Or leaking at one of the hose clamps, etc..... Either way, it is "probably" a simple fix.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I agree with some of the others. Since you to run in water I highly suggest installing a full snorkel kit. It will provide you with great peace of mind and if you don't want to DIY there are several great kits out there for around $200 that are easy to install. In fact, even if I didn't regularly go in deep water I would still snorkel my machine knowing what I do now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just snorkel it you can take to back to stock easily if you have problems and have to take it to the dealer. Also it's for piece of mind.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am going to go out on a limb and go against the snorkels...

Call me crazy, but I am going to trust that your serious about only going in floorboard deep water. A stock ranger should be able to handle floorboard deep water day in and day out without any concern. If your not mechanically inclined enough to repair and rebuild your own machine then its best you stay away from snorkles. It will be hard to find a decent reputable mechanic to take your problems seriously. Best bet is to try your dealership and if they cant help find a service manual and start troubleshooting yourself. I have had several different model rangers in true floorboard deep water on multiple occasions and only managed a belt chirp once and a while on one machine.

If your testimony is accurate you have a factory defect that Polaris needs to address before you start hacking up a perfectly good bike with a bunch of aftermarket accessories that still wont fix the issue you have.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Maybe I'm misreading your post, but you mentioned the belt slips when you're out in the rain? If that's the case, then yes it's the piss poor factory intake design that I swear someone really screwed up with that. The 2015 models come with a frog skin to cover the intake to "help", but if you wash it with a water hose it will go right in. If you don't want to snorkel the bike (and keep in mind the belt exhaust is right on top of the motor - pretty low) then I would at the very least, unhook the stock intakes where they couple right behind the seat just above the rear plastic, and put in two pvc 90 degree pieces, angled inward toward the center of the machine

·
Registered
454 Posts
I don't have any of these issues. I wash my ranger with a hose all the time, including the intakes on the sides... Never a single issue in the year and a half that I've owned it. It is offroad multiple times a week... never an issue.

OP, I highly recommend taking it to your dealer for inspection. Something is not right.

·
Registered
142 Posts
One of the problems with floor board deep water is the wave effect created by riding through the water. Especially if your riding in a stream or flooded field. If that wave reaches the middle of the cvt cover then water will pour in through the inner cover where it meets the engine block. Our if you stay in the water long enough it will also leak in around the seal on the outer cover. Point being the cvt system ain't sealed worth a dang. Unless your 100% confident in your dealers mechanic I would just fix it your self. They guy in the back may or may not have any formal training. I question wether mine even graduated middle school.

·
Registered
656 Posts
To me the side mounts on the 900's was a poor design. If I washed mine with the water hose and no nozzle it would get water in the air box and cvt. so for me it was a no brainer to snorkel it. A whole lot less headache and worry.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'd did this even after snorkeling mine and it fixed the belt issue. If u go in water mid way up on belt which u do if ur in a rice field, it is ur cv belt box. Remove rear wheel, remove belt cover, pull primary and secondary clutch and cover off. Use rvt silicone and seal cover then reinstall everything. Mine hasn't got water in it since. I did put some btw my covers too just to be safe because of oring. I hate the intake design so I do recommend snorkel your machine. I sunk one and was only at water floors, fell into a whole. It's was bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts