PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks! Earlier this summer i washed the motor on my 2014 Xp900, being careful not to get water in the vent, yet I drained out a few ounces of water. I left my Ranger outside for the last 3 days and it rained quite a bit. Went to start it and major belt slipping, it would not move 3 feet. Drained about 16 oz of black water and now can move it. How is it getting into the clutch housing? This is ridiculous. I am taking it to the dealer soon, but wanted to know if this is normal??? Surely they cannot build a machine that is this fragile with water??
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,846 Posts
Hello folks! Earlier this summer i washed the motor on my 2014 Xp900, being careful not to get water in the vent, yet I drained out a few ounces of water. I left my Ranger outside for the last 3 days and it rained quite a bit. Went to start it and major belt slipping, it would not move 3 feet. Drained about 16 oz of black water and now can move it. How is it getting into the clutch housing? This is ridiculous. I am taking it to the dealer soon, but wanted to know if this is normal??? Surely they cannot build a machine that is this fragile with water??
Thanks!
The rain entered through the clutch intake on the side, it is a poor design to say the least. It is normal and your dealer will probably not do anything to it.
If I leave mine outside and it is going to rain, I cover both side vents with sandwich bags.

The 2015 has new intakes that are covered with frog skin. Look it up on the web, you may want to put some on your side intakes.

·
Registered
546 Posts
sad but true. The 2014's have frog skin over the vents I just looked at one today.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW, i thought the side air vents went to the air intake for the motor, not the clutch, I need to revisit the entire air intake. Where does the air come from for the motor. Why does the belt require sooo much air intake? My 2014 has two intakes on the side of the cab, they have some type of clear screen over them. I thought this was for the motor intake??? I am in NW oregon, we get get just a wee bit of rain! Hope you can clarify...

·
Registered
546 Posts
The vent on the drivers side is the air intake for the engine, the passenger side is the intake for the belt, and the one off the belt housing under the bed is the clutch-belt exhaust.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Can anyone with a 2014/2015 post a picture of the new intake vents? My 2013 vents have a skin-like fabric on them so I'm not sure how the newer models are different.

Brad, I had the same problem on my Ranger a few weeks ago. A hard rain storm flooded the clutch housing.

·
Super Moderator
6,846 Posts
Can anyone with a 2014/2015 post a picture of the new intake vents? My 2013 vents have a skin-like fabric on them so I'm not sure how the newer models are different.

Brad, I had the same problem on my Ranger a few weeks ago. A hard rain storm flooded the clutch housing.
http://forumfoundrycdn.com/nickj/utv/Ranger/MY2015/MY2015_Polaris_Ranger_Location-9.jpg

Here is a quick pic, the vent is in the same place. The new style vents are covered in Frog Skin, it still let's air in but keeps the water out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see a REAL problem here. I have read many posts where Polaris will not honor warranties because the clutch got wet. Yet, we cannot have our Rangers be in the rain??? My 2014 has some white film over the vent, I take it that is not frogzskin??? Has anyone modified their ranger to this frogzskin? This really concerns me, I go out hunting with it and often in rain.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Where can a guy get his hands on a square foot or so of frog skin?:confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Another good option is using snowmobile pre filter material. It is designed to keep moisture out while allowing for good air flow.

·
Registered
764 Posts
If all you do is skin it you can still get mud/water in the air box...the motor sucks pretty hard on the intake.... Most of the junk you get in there will be caught by the filter, just need to check it frequently....

....or re-route the intake and be done with it...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It has happened to me only once. It was an usual downpour for Colorado, plus I drove for almost 200 miles in the rain.

·
Registered
764 Posts
i don't quite understand all this water issue myself

I've ran, set and trailerd in heavy rain, as well as regularly power washing it, yet I have never drained water from the CVT or air intake?

is my machine abnormal or soemthing???
A lot of guys are finding mud/water in belt housing and air box

·
Registered
764 Posts
but then how come mine hasn't had this issue?

what are you guys doing to get this to happen that i'm apparently not doing :S that's whats confusing me.
What i noticed on my machine was it would ingest crud into the air box and belt housing when the intakes would get partially blocked/clogged with mud/snow... The intake sucks air pretty hard and it would just suck the junk through or around the intake cover...If the intake is partially obstructed i imagine the sucking force is greater because the surface area is smaller....on one occasion my machine would die after the intake got blocked enough, I'd wipe the intake clean and it would run fine until the intake got blocked again...

Take the intake hose off and put your hand over the hose to feel how hard it sucks, frog skin alone will not be able to keep junk out...

Others may have experienced other reasons like spraying water into the belt exhaust when washing the machine or poorly seated intake covers but i was pretty careful to make sure the intake covers were seated well and always covered the belt exhaust when washing the machine...

For a lot of folks installing snorkels is the only way to fix the issue...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'm pretty sure that my belt housing filled with water when the engine wasn't running. I loaded it on the trailer after washing it and there were zero issues. My exhaust port was covered when I washed it and I did my best to avoid the intake port.

Then again, maybe the neighbor kid used the intake port as a urinal.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm pretty sure that my belt housing filled with water when the engine wasn't running. .

... I believe it, the intake design is far from good...if the water couldnt get through the stock intake covers by suction it could get around it easily with the machine off...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts