PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

3481 - 3500 of 3531 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Last night, did the first break-in engine oil change, at 22 hours, removed the rear sway-bar completely, I have the front left link out also, adjusted the doors some more, adjusted my shift linkage, it had to much park and not enough for high range, adjusted my steering wheel, it was way off, and checked the fluids in the diffs.
Hey Jcoon, I think I need to adjust my shift linkage on my 2019 Backcountry as well, it can be difficult to get it into high. What's the best way to do it? Thank you for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
View attachment 130861

I got up to a few things last night on my '05 XP 800, none of them successful…

drained the oil and discovered the copper sealing washer was missing, guess that explains one of the oil leaks.

pulled the dip stick tube to replace the rubber o-ring because it has been dumping oil out of the base of the tube when revving down. Turns out there's a deep gouge in the tube near the bend and middle mount, and that's where the oil's pouring out. Searched ebay for used tubes, they all have some level of gouge or groove or rust in this spot. wonderful. View attachment 130859

next I tried to diagnose the dead winch. contactor isn't putting out anything, might be junk.
just to check, i put the battery leads straight to the winch, and it... did nothing. yay. will pull that tonight to disassemble the motor.

last, i took a look at the wiring harnesses i'll be pulling out. decided i was tired, will tackle that tonight too!
View attachment 130860
Good parts store should sell the copper washer, take the bolt in for sizing. JB weld, or a little solder, should patch the tube, as for winch, might be time for a new one. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2005 Ranger XP 800
89 Posts
I had ordered a new tube from Polaris parts directly, $28 shipped and I already have it installed :)
Got a big set of crush washers so I don't find myself in this spot again. Oil change done! Running great and no more dumping oil onto the skid plate.

Drained the transmission (I'm doing all the fluids). Trans oil was in decent condition, still oily, not black. Looked green when it first came out, but sloshing it around my drain pan its a nice deep purple color.

Next up I'll do the differentials. Productive evening so far!

·
Registered
2005 Ranger XP 800
89 Posts
Rear diff: oil nearly black, a few small bits of metal on the drain plug, only about 5 ounces of fluid came out, vs the 18 ounces that went in. I wonder if the PO got the front and rear diff instructions backwards? I guess I'll see how long this diff lasts. Too bad the Sportsman diff of my parts bike isn't the same.

Front diff: oil black, some goo stuck to the drain plug, probably just very fine metal shavings. only about 3 ounces of fluid came out, vs the 5 that went in (through the vent hose, thanks to this forum for that suggestion!)

Good thing I haven't driven this thing much. Guess I'll need to watch the axle/driveshaft seals on the diffs closely.

Got the bumper off, bolts weren't too rusty. Will pull the winch then call it a night.

·
Registered
2020 highlifter crew
71 Posts
Hey Jcoon, I think I need to adjust my shift linkage on my 2019 Backcountry as well, it can be difficult to get it into high. What's the best way to do it? Thank you for any help you can provide.
I simply adjusted it at the transmission using the jam nuts on the cable, moving the cable back some, heading towards the rear of the machine, that gives it more throw into high, and less into park.

·
Registered
2005 Ranger XP 800
89 Posts
Getting close! Not bad for afternoon and evening (and a good bit of the night)

Speedo lights up and shows the fuel level and shifter position correctly. Engine cranks, but it's late so I didn't start it.
E-brake works.
(Remember this is a 2005, so no speedometer or fuel gauge and a foot operated e-brake that didn't work)
New winch arrives tomorrow.
Hopefully I can get it together enough to take the lady into the woods tomorrow.

·
Registered
Now a 2020 Northstar!
42 Posts
Work or play!
I added my rotopax mounts & fuel, water cans & shovel mount. Thumbs up to Razorback Offroad. Always use my garbage can mount on various vehicles. Our garbage pick-up is 3/4 of a mile away.
Thumbs up to Marshall Motoart also. Nice 2 1/2" lift which keeps it plush.
I am getting into full bore enjoyment of our new Ranger ownership. The wife is diggin' it too. (y)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Work or play!
I added my rotopax mounts & fuel, water cans & shovel mount. Thumbs up to Razorback Offroad. Always use my garbage can mount on various vehicles. Our garbage pick-up is 3/4 of a mile away.
Thumbs up to Marshall Motoart also. Nice 2 1/2" lift which keeps it plush.
I am getting into full bore enjoyment of our new Ranger ownership. The wife is diggin' it too. (y)

View attachment 130875
Looking good! Beautiful scenery in the back. Looks like areas in Idaho. Edit: I see in another thread your in central WA.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Excellent choice with Duraclutch.

·
Registered
2005 Ranger XP 800
89 Posts
Duraclutch arrived from UPS today!
I got as far as pulling the old clutches, at which point I remembered that the engine / transmission mount didn't "seem quite right" when I put it together after shoving the 800 into this XP.

Whelp, I compared the engine mount brackets I had on my bench, and sure enough, one of the three brackets is half an inch shorter than the others. In theory the 800 and 700 engine blocks are the same, but clearly there's something that doesn't match up because that half an inch would make my CVT back cover fit correctly.
So I go to mount the shorter bracket, and whaddya know, the holes in the base plate to go to the vehicle frame don't line up either. So for the last hour I've been making slots out of the ranger's mounting holes, with the engine hanging from the cage.

Part of me thinks "this is an immense waste of time. I should have just financed a mid-teens 900XP and been happy with it, but then I do enjoy wrenching on this thing, so... at least I'm having fun!

By tomorrow I'll have a 2005/2008 Ranger XP/800 with a Duraclutch! With a couple of loose wheel bearings... and a leaky rear diff pinion seal lol.

·
Registered
2005 Ranger XP 800
89 Posts
Finished remounting the engine with the right mount.

Installed the Duraclutch.

Oiled and adjusted the tailgate.

Filled up the bed with dirt, dumped the dirt :)
After this beer, I'll load up the brush and drive it into the woods.
Definitely feels worth all the effort now.
Still to do: brake pads, rear wheel bearings, rear pinion seal, final engine/transmission clutch alignment.

3481 - 3500 of 3531 Posts