PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 2258 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With vendors coming out with new mods for the 400 maybe it's time to make a sticky!
I'll start. Called Harry at Thunderhwawk Performance (forum Sponsor) ordered the rear strut brace for "Stormtroopers" Ranger 400. Seeing Stormtrooper is a young man and would never go rock climbing or mud bogging with his new ranger (or so he tells me). I thought it would be a good idea to outfit it with all the protection it can stand..

I purchased the rear strut brace from Harry Tuesday and installed it today. This is a great item to have and very quick n easy to install. The brace adds so much rear frame strength by "boxing" the rear frame in.

This is a start in protecting StormTroopers Ranger and Harry is on my speed dial for more items to be ordered as they become available

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think it looks great but I was looking for a bit more for a brace.I think the brace should cover the whole rear end up and that would make it completely boxed in.I believe that would give a much better look,make it alot stronger and give extra protection for the CV boots for the people like me who tend to back into stuff.I would drill a few holes in it,one for the exhaust of course.Im not knocking the product,Im just giving Ideas I think that would make it better.As soon I get some extra money saved up Im going to buy Harrys skid plate,that is a must for everybody.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mossy,
Harry is doing a quick mod to the skid plate or I would have one.. I think the angle is very bad on my picture. The brace is about 8" tall. I doesn't need toi be any taller really since the idea is to stiffen/control the higher speed unsprung weight of the mounting frame legs..The picture is a down shot I think I need to get a straight on shot..

·
PRC Sponsor
526 Posts
The top of the rear brace is taller than the CV boots where they attach to the differential output. This brace will keep sticks from entering the open frame area and tearing the CV boots. Riding in Ohio (trails and woods), this was something we were sure to address. I'll have some more pictures soon.

Making the brace taller would not significantly increase the strength. The rear shocks & springs are mounted to the upper control arms. The upper control arms are mounted in the unsupported center section of the vertical frame rails. The suspension loads applied through the shocks, springs and upper control arms causes flex in the vertical frame rails where the control arms are mounted. This brace functions as a shear plate to brace the frame rails and eliminate the flex at the point where the load is applied.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Here is the steering wheel I got from SuperAtv.com (a forum Sponsor). I installed it in just a few minutes what do you think.

·
Registered
328 Posts
This is the first thing I added to my 400, but just got the picture today. This was the start of the additions. :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
Here is the new FTDCabs top installed on my Ranger.. Dad and I got it when we bought the Ranger just now got pictuters.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That steering wheel matches up good,is it bigger than your original steering wheel,or about the same size,does it feel good in your hands?I think I would like one a little bigger

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mossy,
The wheel is a touch bigger, but a lot thicker. The grip is nice and you feel confident steering. you don't feel like you may "break" the wheel like the factory one makes you feel. The flat bottom makes for easy entering and exiting.

For $120 to our door I feel its worth every cent. I have the less aggressive looking one on the Crew.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Does that wheel take a special adaptor?

·
Registered
328 Posts
No when you order it from superatv it comes with a adapter 8)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Lets get out of the garage and use these 400's on the trail so someone can answer my questions under the "low range" post! Jerry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Low Range

Jerry, what question do you have about low range? I have had mine for about 4 months now and I have 60hrs on it, at least 30hrs are from hard riding and the other from working on the farm. These 400 are very impressive. I am absolutely amazed at what this thing has achieved so far! Let me know what your ? is and Ill try to help.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'm not even sure how much the rear srtut brace is to buy but I made a brace out of some 1/4 alum. I had sitting around.

·
Registered
740 Posts
From my understanding it doesn't allow the rear of the chassis to flex. Now I've read here it's for high speed but I don't understand that part of it. It also protects the rear cv boots. If someone knows different please chime in.

·
PRC/SSW Moderator
7,748 Posts
Ian is correct - it serves as a chassis stiffener which in turn reduces frame flex in that area. A lot of things ( A-Arms etc. ) tie in together in that general area and that plate will add structural integrity/strength where needed.

1 - 20 of 2258 Posts