PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just simple as that I am in the market for a decent multimeter for doing my ranger work.

·
Super Moderator
6,846 Posts
Just simple as that I am in the market for a decent multimeter for doing my ranger work.
Polaris calls out the FLUKE Model 77 in their service manuals/SPX.
I use the FLUKE Model 179.

But as you stated any decent one should work just fine.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I think mine came from Lowes, middle of the road digital not to many functions to confuse an old timer like myself, if money is no object Snap-on has a good unit but a bit bulky. My advice rather then spending a bunch on the meter is to get a good wire piercer, most of them I have seen are pricy but well worth it, I believe Mac tool has a set.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will look into the fluke. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A fluke is little more than I am wanting to spend just to use on a ranger.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have a 10 year old model from Radio Shack that I have used with great results. Fluke's are great meters for professionals, but for us regular folks a decent model from Radio shack or Lowe's will do everything you will need it to do. I think the model that I have was less than $50.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have about a dozen different ones the freebee from harbor freight works if your on the cheap, power probe if you want the cool toys

·
Registered
755 Posts
Fluke 87V, you will never need another multimeter for anything else.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Fluke is what use but I'm an electrical contractor. Ideal makes some nice meters at a fair price......

·
Registered
151 Posts
Check out field piece meters, they are as good as Fluke and the warranty is outstanding. My service techs use them and they give us great service for about half the price as Fluke.

not knocking Fluke they make very good equipment just very costly $$$

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check out field piece meters, they are as good as Fluke and the warranty is outstanding. My service techs use them and they give us great service for about half the price as Fluke.

not knocking Fluke they make very good equipment just very costly $$$
The ones I have seen are more exspensive than the flukes.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Remember you usually get what you pay for. I have thrown out all of the cheap ones I have bought over the years. They can not be depended on to be reliable. I picked one at Home Depot a Extech for around $60. In fact I bought two one for the Ranger and one for the shop. :) Grainger has them too: EXTECH Digital Multimeter,600V,10A,40 MOhms - Digital Multimeters - 5UER9|MN47 - Grainger Industrial Supply
Thats more in my price range. But paying over $100 for something I may use twice a year is hard for me to justify.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
In 45 years of wrenching I've bought 3, first 2 were the elcheapo($10) type of which I still have both but one has had to much juice run through it, my fault. Now I found the need for a digital so went to Lowes and didn't buy the cheapest but close I think it was $25 or so, bottom line like you said, I may use it 4 or 5 times a year and can throw away several before I get to the $100-200 models besides the fact that the upper ends have way to many functions for this old boy.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used a the multimeter to test my second battery BC I have been having trouble with it dropping. So it show it's drawing in the range if 29-34 milla amps. Is it supposed to show that or is it supposed to stay one good solid number. If it's under 50 milla amps it's still in the good range right.

Here is the meter I bought from Home Depot.
Klein Tools MM1000 Electrician's Multimeter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003LCL4D6/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_rB0Cub0VYBRG7

1 - 16 of 16 Posts