PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our RZR was purchased used with a recent service at 500 miles by the dealer. I wanted to purchase a quart of oil from the dealer incase it needed some before I change it at 1500 miles,...it was $12 a quart for POLARIS oil and I ask "what the hell makes it so expensive",...I got a funny look back like hello dummy we are screwing you with out a kiss. Ok I get it and from now on I will not be purchasing oil from the dealer.

I will use Shell Rotella T Triple Protection 15W-40 'Heave Duty Diesel' in my RZR 800 S, a Wix filter and change it once a year or 1,000 miles which ever comes first and I live in Calif. where it gets hot in the summer so I need a heaver viscosity oil. I ran this wet clutch compatible oil in all of my Suzuki's for years and NEVER had a problem.

I find it a little amusing when people take their rigs out and thrash the hell out of them in the mud ,water crossing, full bore speed on hot sand hills, climbing over rocks the size of bails of hay and then feel guilty about it and then purchase the most expensive exotic oil at $12 a quart ( POLARIS dose note make oil !) thinking that it is a magic elixir and that it will cure/prevent all of the abuse rendered by their "hold my beer and watch this" operation. Shell Rotella T Triple Protection 15W-40 'Heave Duty Diesel' Dino. & Synthetic oils are as good as it gets, are high zinc content, affordable to purchase, designed for the stress occurring in heavy duty equipment operation ,.....and it is more than enough for any POLARIS. Any failure of the engine will most likely come from flagrant operation and not from the engine OIL. IMHO !!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I totally agree I run the same oil I run in my duramax Rotella T6 synthetic seems to work great!

·
Registered
748 Posts
I would not use the 15W-40. 5W-40 is better, 15W oil is not good for the smaller engines. Both a 15W-40 and 5W-40 are 40 wt oils at engine operating temps. The 5W will flow faster at cold engine starts than the 15W. And by cold I don't mean -30°F, warm summer days are cold to an engine that been sitting for a while. The 5W-40 will reach critical engine components faster than a 15W-40.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm with you on the Shell Rotella T6 Syn, I use it in all my motorcycles and will in my new Polaris. I change my oil once a year if it needs it or not, LOL.

John

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just got done changing mine, I use the 5-40 Shell Rotella Syn. in both my Polaris and my deisel truck. Always done good, JMO.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Polaris Ranger 900XP here, but I run Castrol Edge 5W-50 Synthetic. Love it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Modern automotive (api SN, SM on label) oils are formulated for emissions and fuel economy and don't have adequate additives (ZDDP) for the small hi-reving displacement engines. Yes, you can run them in an RZR/Ranger but over time you will get deposits and cam lobe wear. Most people who use API SN, SM automotive oils don't have a clue since damage occurs over time. Same with diesel oils with SN, SM spec. on the label.

Polaris specifically recommends (see owners manual) against using Automotive oils so your warranty would not cover engine damage caused when using those oils.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I’d just use the Polaris oil. Sure, you can look for a cheaper source online, but you are talking about saving maybe $10-15 at most for an oil change for a fairly expensive toy, right?

Polaris® Engine Oil vs. Aftermarket Engine Oil
Aftermarket engine oils claim they work across a broad range of engine and vehicle applications, from motorcycles to Off-Road Vehicles. What works for one vehicle may not be the best for POLARIS vehicles. The POLARIS engineering team tests over 3,000 oil samples annually. These oil wear analysis tests, combined with engine analysis, are a key element in determining proper service interval for your specific POLARIS vehicle. Aftermarket oil products commonly claim to work in all brands and all models, with little or no testing validation to back up their claims.

POLARIS ENGINEERED LUBRICANTS products are formulated to work specifically in Polaris vehicles. POLARIS ENGINEERED LUBRICANTS works directly with POLARIS engineering teams to formulate, test, and validate each oil in the most extreme dyno and field conditions. Each fluid is specifically developed and tested to meet POLARIS engineering’s tolerance and wear limitations. With over two million miles of field validation and hundreds of thousands of hours on our dyno machines, we can say that we have the best oil available for POLARIS Off-Road Vehicles.

Any claims an aftermarket oil manufacturer makes that its product meets POLARIS engine requirements are false. They may have tested their oil in POLARIS vehicles but not to the level that we test at and without the knowledge of our engine oil requirements. We only follow one performance standard — our own.

The workhorse of any 4-stroke engine oil is its additive system, and this is one of the main differences between POLARIS engine oils and aftermarket products. The POLARIS proprietary additive system in PS-4 and PS-4 Extreme Duty is designed to meet or exceed the latest industry wear and protection standards. Our proprietary additive system is designed specifically for POLARIS Off-Road Vehicles to reduce engine wear, optimize engine cleanliness, and deliver industry leading corrosion and storage protection.

Another key component to our engine oils is our wide all-season 5W-50 viscosity range. The five weight is the winter grade, allowing easy starts and instant oil flow in conditions down to minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit. The 50 weight is the oil’s level of strength or film protection in high heat and high stress conditions. PS4’s high quality powersports grade viscosity modifier is designed to resist shear caused by high RPM and heat cycles, keeping your oil in the proper protection grade longer than typical aftermarket oils.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts