PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the coronavirus (COVID-19) shutting everything down we should have lots of time on our hands. If the maintenance on your buggy is done you may need something else to do. I suggest you grab a box or heavy-duty trash bags and go out to your favorite ride area or contact a local rancher or farm and ask them if they need some free help cleaning up their pastures, ranges, or washes. Maybe even help fix fence.
As a side note you will be avoiding crowds and getting fresh air. Remember to wash your hand and watch where you step (snakes are coming out now).

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Not a bad suggestion. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately for me, I just had foot surgery so I'm limited in my mobility although still ambulatory. I've been finding light chores to do inside, sharpening knives, chisels, hatchets and chipper blades with the Tormek T8 I just got, planning a belt grinder build, a trash can hauler so I can use the Ranger to move trash cans down to the pick up site on trash days, and a small welding repair on the chipper hopper, some sorting and straightening of tools. We haven't allowed the panic to stop us from going out to lunch or to shop. We take the precaution of staying away from other people which is easier now since many are staying home, regular hand washing and care in what we handle and touch. Our closest neighbor is about 1/2 mile away and since we are at the end of the road no one comes past us. We have 26 acres to ourselves while my parents are in their second home in FL so isolation is easy if we want it.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Bankrupting you is not my plan, but I do like good tools. The Tormek was a treat I bought myself because I knew I was going to be laid up for a while and I'll go crazy with nothing to do. Besides, my dad has an 8" jointer and 12" planer for woodworking and no good way to sharpen the cutters, so now I can do them for him. He had gotten a universal knife grinder

which I attempted to use, and found to be a POS; very inaccurate. When I spoke to him about it he said he had problems with accuracy with it too. I considered modifying it for more accuracy but it's his and he's not here right now so I didn't want to take it upon myself to try it.
The Torkmek can't overheat steel when grinding and does a hollow grind so it's great for getting things really sharp. I used it on the chipper blade with the planer blade attachment and there was only .001" difference from end to end upon completion. Of course the chipper doesn't require that kind of accuracy but it demonstrates what it will do for a planer or jointer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts