PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What year 900 RZR to buy?

I have been looking for a rzr 800 for my son but it is very hard to find a nice one with power steering. I have ran across some 900's and was wondering are there certain years to stay away from? I know my ranger 900 has the horrible intake boots. Are there certain things to look for on the 900's and 800's for that matter. I am still looking at both, any input would be greatly appreciated I don't want to end up with a pile of junk for my boy.

Thanks I advance!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Polaris just can't seem to get intakes right. The 08 800's I believe the majority of the ones not modified with aftermarket intakes have had have or need engine rebuild or at least top end rebuild. The first runs of the 09's had the 08 intakes on them, were supposed to be modified by the dealer (most either weren't or were partially modded). Starting in late Nov or early Dec 08 the 09's had good intake. You can check the build date by looking at the sticker on the frame down-tube just behind the right front tire. The 09's have proven to be very reliable if they have an aftermarket intake or are a later production unit. The 10's are good also, 11-14 have had some added electronics that have caused some minor issues. something to do with a sensor attached to the gas peddle comes to mind and a few others. Early production units had plastic sprague carrier in the front diff are prone to breaking if ridden hard (My 09 is still original). I believe change to metal was in the 11 production run. Cost a few hundred to replace with metal unit. Again most of them have been replaced. Another major (and expensive issue) on ALL 800's expect for early production 08's is they switched from a pinned rear diff pinion nut to a nylon locking pinion nut that gets soft with heat and starts to back out and if left unmodified will eventually destroy the rear diff as in drive the pinion gear through the side of the rear diff case along with destroying the ring and pinion gears. about a $1400 repair bill. The mod is to use a Ranger pinion nut to replace the nylon locker along with high temp locktite and torque to I think 215 ft pounds. It is a real time bomb and Polaris refuses to take any action on it because the units are no longer in production. This can and does lock up the rear wheels and leave you stranded with the opportunity to walk out.

Now for the 900. Early units had (and current units still may have) a reverse chain in the transmission. This chain is prone to break if you ever try to pull another unit out of say mud in reverse or if you put the unit in revers and stomp on the gas. Several hundred to get it repaired. Not sure if current production has the same chain or no chain or an improved chain. Aftermarket got into this also with improved chains. You are aware of the crap intake on the 09 units. There have been numerous recalls on the 900's which I haven't paid much attention to so just something to be aware of. Again I believe that at some point in the production Polaris went beck to the plastic sprague carrier in the front diff. I have absolutely not idea why they did that and I don't know if they came to their senses or not. I don't know if the 900 or 1000 has the same rear diff as the 800's but I haven't heard of any exploding 900 rears.

General comments: My 09 does not have power steering, over the years I've thought about putting one in but just never had that kind of spare cash. In all reality I don't need it, but it would be a nice thing to have. If your son is average 15-16+ years or a strong 12-14 year old he should be fine without power steering on an 800. In all honesty 99.9% of those that have it or have installed it say they would never buy another machine without it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike that was SUPER informative. I greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
get him a general you won't regret it T&S

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Do the lad a favor and get power steering.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
General's are sweet but more than I want to spend. I m definitely getting power steering though.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to look at a 09 800 tomorrow, he is supposed to send me the build date. He is asking 6900 with 1400 miles.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He is a friend of mine and says it doesn't use any oil at all, he has been a mechanic his whole life. He owns his own shop and has a great reputation. My question is if it is an early model 800 and that intakes have or have not been changed should I change to aftermarket, if so what one?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Brandon, I replied to your PM with several comments and suggestions. Sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier, I had to sight in a rifle for elk hunting and then clean it when I got home, so the internet had to wait until the afternoon.

Mike

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
yup thats a whole lot less than a general T&S

1 - 11 of 11 Posts