PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the site, but what a wealth of knowledge.

I have a 2017 Ranger 1000 and looking at putting some tracks on this winter. Main purpose will be ice fishing along with some casual riding. As I am reviewing different posts talking about tracks, there is a lot of discussion but many of the posts are a year or 2 old. So I am looking for some advice from folks out there with some more recent experience as I know the technology and manufacturers have been changing quickly. I also have a few specific questions.

1) I hear a lot about the camoplast tracks being great, but not quite as many rave reviews for the Polaris "brand" tracks. Doesn't Camoplast make these tracks for Polaris? Or am I getting confused?
2) Anyone have experience with the Duratracks?
3) Any "words of wisdom" as a guy gets in to tracks? I hear things like "run in low gear, replace the air intake" etc......

Not looking for anything overly technical, just real world experience and true reviews of what you guys have, what your experiences are, and what I need to think about as I go down this path.

Appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hi all,

New to the site, but what a wealth of knowledge.

I have a 2017 Ranger 1000 and looking at putting some tracks on this winter. Main purpose will be ice fishing along with some casual riding. As I am reviewing different posts talking about tracks, there is a lot of discussion but many of the posts are a year or 2 old. So I am looking for some advice from folks out there with some more recent experience as I know the technology and manufacturers have been changing quickly. I also have a few specific questions.

1) I hear a lot about the camoplast tracks being great, but not quite as many rave reviews for the Polaris "brand" tracks. Doesn't Camoplast make these tracks for Polaris? Or am I getting confused?
The newer tracks Polaris sells are made by Camso(Camoplast - changed their name on an acquisition)

2) Anyone have experience with the Duratracks?
Can't help you there, only used the Camoplast myself.
3) Any "words of wisdom" as a guy gets in to tracks? I hear things like "run in low gear, replace the air intake" etc......
Run in low gear when you're not on bare ground/ice. Get the Polaris in cab snow intake kit. It'll keep you from accumulating snow on the clutch and engine air intakes. The biggest issue is heat on the clutches, it wears at the belts and causes failures. I have a temp gauge for my CVT(clutch) housing that lets me know when i'm running too hard and heating things up. I recommend it to anyone, but especially if you're running tracks. The one I installed is from Alba Racing.

Not looking for anything overly technical, just real world experience and true reviews of what you guys have, what your experiences are, and what I need to think about as I go down this path.

Appreciate the feedback!
Personally, I love having tracks. I can go anywhere (albeit slowly) once things freeze up. You didn't say if you had a full cab and heat, those are something else I would recommend getting if you haven't already.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Arcticzale nailed it pretty good. I have the CAMSO tracks as well ( bought in 2017). In 2017 Camso made their UTV tracks a little wider front and rear and a little longer ( rear only) for increased flotation given the increasing size / weight of UTV's. These are truly great tracks. Yes the in-cab intake kit ( cheap upgrade) is necessary foi you do more than just plow with tracks on.
You will be amazed where you can go with tracks on: these truly become offroad monsters!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Just FYI

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
The newer tracks Polaris sells are made by Camso(Camoplast - changed their name on an acquisition)

Run in low gear when you're not on bare ground/ice. Get the Polaris in cab snow intake kit. It'll keep you from accumulating snow on the clutch and engine air intakes. The biggest issue is heat on the clutches, it wears at the belts and causes failures. I have a temp gauge for my CVT(clutch) housing that lets me know when i'm running too hard and heating things up. I recommend it to anyone, but especially if you're running tracks. The one I installed is from Alba Racing.

Personally, I love having tracks. I can go anywhere (albeit slowly) once things freeze up. You didn't say if you had a full cab and heat, those are something else I would recommend getting if you haven't already.
Where did you purchase the in cab air intake kit, and was there much plumbing that had to be done? Thanks

·
Registered
778 Posts

Where did you purchase the in cab air intake kit, and was there much plumbing that had to be done? Thanks
I got it from my dealer, and it took me about 30 minutes to install the first time. Now it's about 10 minutes tops. I remove it for summer riding and put it back in along with the track install.

And Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tony, was just out checking the air intake systems on the '12 800 ranger. Looks as the clutching air intake is mid-way up on the back of the cab with a pretty coarse filter, then the main air intake is up front on the right hand side behind the headlight, can't get a good look at it as the heater box sets in the way. Then running to the air filter beneath the cargo bed, then to the engine. Is that similar to yours? Also looks like both systems have fairly large tanks inline for collecting, or something. I don't have a service manual for this machine yet, but looks to me there shouldn't be a problem, as any snow entering the system would possibly be caught in one of the tanks. I could be way of base here, please explain if I am. Thanks.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Tony, was just out checking the air intake systems on the '12 800 ranger. Looks as the clutching air intake is mid-way up on the back of the cab with a pretty coarse filter, then the main air intake is up front on the right hand side behind the headlight, can't get a good look at it as the heater box sets in the way. Then running to the air filter beneath the cargo bed, then to the engine. Is that similar to yours? Also looks like both systems have fairly large tanks inline for collecting, or something. I don't have a service manual for this machine yet, but looks to me there shouldn't be a problem, as any snow entering the system would possibly be caught in one of the tanks. I could be way of base here, please explain if I am. Thanks.
I have no idea what the 800 system is setup like so I can't help you much there.

The XP chassis has the engine and clutch intakes as part of the outside panels at the rear of the cab. The clutch intake draws from the curb side and the engine from the driver side. The snow kit for these machines has a coarse plastic prefilter that is in it's own housing for the engine and just some of that filter material to put into the clutch intake tube (which I set in front, not inside the tube).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks Tony, sounds like a bit different type air intake setup between the 900 and 800. Apologize for stepping on this thread.....

·
Registered
778 Posts
Thanks Tony, sounds like a bit different type air intake setup between the 900 and 800. Apologize for stepping on this thread.....
No apologies needed 'round here, you're in the right place for answers if you're on this forum.

The real thing you should be looking to accomplish is to make sure that the intakes are not in an area that is going to suck in snow dust. The snow will clog things up and give you issues, which gets frustrating, the resolve has been to move the intakes inside the enclosed cab. Just keep that in mind if they dont offer a snow kit for your model.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Camoplast does make the Polaris tracks but they are not the same animal. In 2017 Camoplast or Camso redid the tracks to
perfection. Choose wisely.

·
Registered
94 Posts
the new 2020 polaris tracks are awesome
lighter then the camso
Metal drive wheels
shrouding around the bogey wheels to keep the ice from building up
Did I mention lighter then previous models?

I would love to trade up for a set of the new tracks!

I own a set of 2014 and 2015 UTV tracks, a set of 2008 ATV tracks and a 2015 set of ATV tracks LOL all Camoplast (camso)
I love tracks, they make it possible for us to live back here in the winter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts