PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
7,985 Posts
Swamp , are you referring to a rubber like cap that covers the spindle nut ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Which one are you referring to. The wheel center cap as in pic #1 or the hub cap in pic #2. I have knocked more caps off the wheel (pic #1) that I would care to talk about. Because the rims are narrower, those caps just about stuck out some. To me they do absolutely nothing but for looks. And at $25 / each, I got tired of that and found some MSA rims that had a different offset.

If you're talking about the rubber hub cap in Pic #2, then you either are not putting them on correctly or your riding condition is worse than mine. I have never had one come off and mine is a 2013. This one IMO is more important in the fact it covers the castle nut and pin which holds the hub on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is the first one, and you are right they ain’t cheap. The castle nuts are exposed which is my concern. Not sure it matters or not. I guess the cotter pin could get knocked off somehow but the caps are not doing much anyway if they won’t stay on.

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
4,101 Posts
I purchased an axle (Polaris calls it a driveshaft) some time ago and when I got it the nut was considerably larger than OEM, in fact the threads on the axle were different from OEM and the large nut wouldn't allow me to install the rubber cap which is similar to the one in picture #2 above. I sent the axle back because I believe that cap keeps out water and contaminates which would cause rust, could possibly get to the bearings and cause a lot of headache later when trying to disassemble outer axle components. I guess if you run water deep enough to submerge the hubs those caps might not help much but for my use they do prevent entry of splashes and rain.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hell it's not even listed in the parts diagram. That's weird. So the castle nut and pin is exposed. I wouldnt worry about mud or water or anything to that nature. The seals on the bearings will help with that and it could easily intrude from the inside of the hub. Only way I found was to go from that rim I showed to this MSA rim which had a deeper offset.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, it seems like a crap design from Polaris. I am thinking of new tires and rims, can’t quite read what those are in the picture? How much offset is there? I really do not want to add a lift or spacers so I am trying to find the right combo for a 27” tire.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Not sure on the offset but I know it's more than the stock rims. They are MSA 20 14" rims. The tires are 30x9x14 swamp witch. Didnt need a real aggressive tire and they ride very nice on hard pack. I actually found the rims on facebook marketplace because no one local had them in stock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts