PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum but have been reading through the mid size posts for a while. I have a 2013 500 EFI and it's time for some updates. The suspension has sagged and I was thinking for installing EV springs front and back and getting new wheels and tires. I would like to go with 7x14 wheels with no offset and either 28x10x14 all the way around or 28x9x14 front and 28x11x14 rear. My questions are...

1. Can I do this with forward a arms?

2. I have a 60" wide trailer. With these wheels and tires will it increase the width to over 60" inches?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Question 1 should be "Can I do this without adding forward a arms".

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm new to the forum but have been reading through the mid size posts for a while. I have a 2013 500 EFI and it's time for some updates. The suspension has sagged and I was thinking for installing EV springs front and back and getting new wheels and tires. I would like to go with 7x14 wheels with no offset and either 28x10x14 all the way around or 28x9x14 front and 28x11x14 rear. My questions are...

1. Can I do this with forward a arms?

2. I have a 60" wide trailer. With these wheels and tires will it increase the width to over 60" inches?

Any advice would be appreciated.
In regard to larger tires, my 2011 Ranger XP with a 3" lift still rubbed with 28X10X14 tires so Installed the Super ATV 2" forward control arms and Rhino axles. I would advise anyone wanting to run wider wheels than stock, to properly offset them to maintain the original footprint. I used ITP Blackwater 28X10X14 tires and bead lock wheels with a 4/156 (5+2) offset. That put the king pin inclination near the stock measurement. There are many good reasons to follow that rule. I won't elaborate, but do some research regarding king pin inclination, and don't confuse it with camber.

I used 2" Maier fender flares and it doesn't throw any mud on my windshield as it did previously. I also don't hit those "shadow rocks" that hide in the late shadows on the shoulder of desert roads, and it still fits the ruts in the desert that are created by different width vehicles, standard width pickups and Jeeps, Side X Side's, and quads. Anything in between is a miserable bastard to keep in the road, especially when the ruts are deep!

You have to use 14" or larger wheels to offset the wheels inward (+) over the brake backing plate on full size Rangers. There is a convention for the amount of offset, but it is confusing unless you are looking at the chart. The steering geometry on all vehicles is designed by engineers and modifying it in any way causes steering problems and lateral stress on the steering components and the control arm mounts on the frame. You will also have clutch problems with larger tires so expect to eventually upgrade it. EPI offers good information on their clutch kits related to tire size and altitude.

Another component that will most likely react to the larger tires is the cooling system. Running the fan all of the time will help, but is very annoying. I upgraded my radiator to a TCP 2 1/2" core heavy duty radiator and a high output SPAL fan and Dakota fan controller. I installed a fan controller bypass switch for added security. The system works far better than the minimal requirement system Polaris uses.

Since I started making upgrades I have had my share of cooling problems including vapor locking that required a higher pressure fuel pump and a lot of reflective insulation from Summit. It is a long road of trial and error until your machine finally becomes reliable. I also installed a voltmeter, temperature gauge, and oil pressure gauge, something else Polaris forgot on the earlier models and I can look at all of them at once without pushing a very distracting button and taking my eyes off the road to see a dim digital readout.

Bottom line: Whatever you do to change stock components will probably have an effect on some other component in the system, so be prepared to open your wallet or the consequences may leave you stranded where you don't want to be!

·
Registered
747 Posts
My son runs 27-11-14 and 27-9-14, they don't rub but close and that's with 2in lift on front, and mo it will not fit in a 60in. Trailer.
Screenshot_20210223-071022.png

1 - 5 of 5 Posts