PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I have a 2014 ranger 570. I forget when they said to do the first maintenance i.e. Oil/filter change etc? Also, I'd like to do the maintenance myself so can someone run thru what exactly I need to do for first maintenance, ie fluids, grease etc. I want to get familiar with the machine as this is my first. I currently have only 50 miles on the machine but I'm sure I'll put another 50-75 in the near future...hunting season. One last thing, I see I can get the polaris oil or maintenance kit on eBay. Is that recommended? Thanks for any help u can give!!

·
Registered
585 Posts
20 hours give or take. It's mostly to make sure there isn't any metal filings or other irregularities. When you drain the oil it will be perfect in condition still so it kind sucks but it's a must to check its condition.

I just used the polaris kit (2qt and filter). Warm up the bike, get a pan, drain the oil into the pan, pull the filter, oil the new filter, spin it on, tighten the drain plug and add 2qts of oil. You can add it right at the top which is easier for access.

Just make sure you got the proper Allen key size for the drain plug.

But all the instructions are in your manual and you can find a pdf version online too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Although the manual says to do the first oil change (break in oil) at 1 month, most everyone here does the first oil change at ~25hrs. Buying your oil from any source is OK, just keep your receipts or some sort of proof you did it for warranty reasons. BTW, we are coming up on Black Friday and FixMyToys (Ball Equipment) usually puts on a heck of sale on all their stuff. Good time to stock up on oil, filters, etc!
maintenance.JPG

Reactions: mustangwagz

·
Registered
425 Posts
Polaris recommends 25 hours on first oil change. Should have been programmed in to the cluster. At least my neighbor's and mine were. Each came from different dealers and both were set at 25hrs.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I would recommend 25 hours on the first change, and every 50 hours thereafter. If I only used to to run up and down the road (to the mailbox, etc....), I might extend the interval to 100 hours.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I think I can figure the oil out but what about additional fluids?? Transmission, gear, etc?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I purchased a 2014 Ranger 400 HO. I would like to learn to change all the fluids myself. The manual seems to be a little vague to me, but that could just be me. I see that the oil has two drain plugs, one on the oil reservoir and another on the crankcase, but I am having problems finding the crankcase plug. Have not even looked for the front and rear differential drain/fill plugs. My manual says I need to use full synthetic 5W50 motor oil, will Castrol 5W50 be fine? What are the differential oils needed, as in the weight? Can I buy oil other than Poloris brands?

On the oil change, if I do NOT pull the oil screen off, will I still need to prime? I heard I did not.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I use my Ranger intermittently - beat it like a rented mule for 2 weeks straight then it sits for 2 months. I change all lube fluids every 50 hours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts