PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 800 crew completely stock. Just ordered the BWA 2" lift with a arms. Looking for the best tire for riding trails and making it through the mud bogs. Don't want to replace clutch or axles just yet so thinking 28".

Look forward to your suggestions!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
pitbull rockers have been good to me I,am on very rugged terrain T&S you might want some swampers t&s 102.jpg

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I have a 2014 800 crew completely stock. Just ordered the BWA 2" lift with a arms. Looking for the best tire for riding trails and making it through the mud bogs. Don't want to replace clutch or axles just yet so thinking 28".

Look forward to your suggestions!
Several of the guys up here run the Swamplites and like them, good all around tire. That being said, the extra weight of the crew and the thinner sidewall of the Swamplite don't do well together, especially if you plan on carrying any cargo. One of the guys runs the Pitbulls on his 6x6 and has been happy with them, but expect to pay around $965 or so out of Anchorage. I've had Mudlite XL's and didn't care for them much, both in 28 and 30's, felt like I was running on a rumble strip all of the time and about rattled my teeth loose. There are options like the SATV Terminator which I believe comes in a 28, or you can go with a light truck tire. I've looked at Interco Irok-D in a 30.5 (15" wheel) and they run about $128 each, far less than UTV tires. I have the Mudder Inlaws right now and really like them, but they come in 30's and up.

Hope that helps?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Dont buy anything with "lite" in the name.....no matter what any dealer tells you dont buy Swamplites, they are absolute garbage...the dealers push them hard and i dont know why...junk junk junk....

The problem you're going to have in any deep mud will be more high centering than tires, especially with a crew...no mud tire made will pull you through if you're high centered...
...and if you are able to get to the bottom of the mud hole to get traction most tires will pull you through...

I'd focus more on a tire with good ride quality, durability, and good 'all around' traction especially for the greasy stuff...

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm extremely pleased with my Pitbull Growlers. 900 miles on them on my 6x6 and they perform great, they will take an absolute beating. They are heavy and expensive but quality costs $$$. There have been a few times I wished I had all out mud tires, but I won't switch back to anything 6-ply again and no one makes an 8-ply mud tire in a 27" or 28". Mega Mayhems have decent sidewalls but I don't know how they perform. My buddy has sold a bunch and hasn't had a problem with any coming back yet.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I went with a set of Black Diamond 27x9x14 and 27x11x14. They are a little squirrelly on hard packed surfaces. Minimal interference at the most extreme angle with the shocks moved out and no other suspension mods.

Might not matter for your situation but they are DOT approved.

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies! Can any of you tell me what, if any issues I would have running 10" wide tires on both front and rear? A lot of tires I look at that are 28-30" only come in 10" wide.

Thanks,

Sam

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Thanks for the replies! Can any of you tell me what, if any issues I would have running 10" wide tires on both front and rear? A lot of tires I look at that are 28-30" only come in 10" wide.

Thanks,

Sam
None? I'm running the same size tires at all four corners with the same width wheels. If I could run 12 wide I would for flotation.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
same here with my pitbull rockers so far no flats no lugs tore off and I nail it a lot on the rocky ground T&S
I'm extremely pleased with my Pitbull Growlers. 900 miles on them on my 6x6 and they perform great, they will take an absolute beating. They are heavy and expensive but quality costs $$$. There have been a few times I wished I had all out mud tires, but I won't switch back to anything 6-ply again and no one makes an 8-ply mud tire in a 27" or 28". Mega Mayhems have decent sidewalls but I don't know how they perform. My buddy has sold a bunch and hasn't had a problem with any coming back yet.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
None? I'm running the same size tires at all four corners with the same width wheels. If I could run 12 wide I would for flotation.
Is there a problem if the wheels are different widths?:indecisiveness:

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Is there a problem if the wheels are different widths?:indecisiveness:
Dunno, I'm running the same offset/width all the way around so can't answer that one. It would stand to reason though if you had a narrower wheel, that it would be slightly taller/narrower by the mere fact that the sidewalls were being squeezed closer together on the rim.

When I paid for my tires/wheels initially, they were in stock and I was told that all four wheels were 7" wide. When I picked them up, I could tell that two of the tires looked a little different.....narrower. Turns out that two of the rims were 6" wide. They subsequently ordered the other two in 7" since I wanted the same at all four corners.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the order was placed today....... I went with SS316 matte black rims 14x7 and EFX Moto MTC 28" tires all around (1000lb load rating for both rim and tire). BWA arched a-arms with 2" lift was ordered Monday and should be here in a week or two. Can't wait to get this crew off the ground. High centered in the woods behind my house tonight with the kids........

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Well the order was placed today....... I went with SS316 matte black rims 14x7 and EFX Moto MTC 28" tires all around (1000lb load rating for both rim and tire). BWA arched a-arms with 2" lift was ordered Monday and should be here in a week or two. Can't wait to get this crew off the ground. High centered in the woods behind my house tonight with the kids........
Sounds like a good setup. Yup, that's all it took for me was getting hung up one time too. What part of AK are you in?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The EFX Moto MTCs are awesome for this AK terrain. They have amazing grip in all situations. Amazon prime for $174 each.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts