PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first ranger the other day and it's almost time for the first oil change. I don't really feel like spending $325 for a service at my local shop.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am about to do my own first oil change. I got a Polaris filter. Just need synthetic oil. Do you guys always use Polaris brand or get some from the local auto store?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I did on my 2014 RZR 1000, and I am about to do it on my 2015 Ranger 900. I was told by the dealer to keep the receipts in the event that something happened that triggered the warrantee to be needed as proof that the oil was changed, so I have kept them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just did mine this past weekend. Super easy on my 2014 XP 900 with the polaris kit!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The only issue I had with changing all the fluids (except brake and radiator) was that the rear differential fluid leaked onto the skid plate instead of going straight down. I think it was the rear differential. One of those fluids that drains in the rear.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I do all my own fluid changes on the ranger. I got a thing about other people working on my stuff.

·
Vendor
1,653 Posts
We do all of ours also. I've been using Polaris oils, but now that my warranty is up I may change.

Dad's Ranger has an extended warranty so we'll probably keep using Polaris in it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I do my own oil changes, using the Polaris oil/filter, and great advice from this forum. Like to be familiar with my Machine !

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Who changes their own oil?

Us poor folk.:glee:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I change fluids and do any maintenance tasks I can handle on pretty much everything for a couple reasons. It keeps me ahead of many potential problems and avoid the feeling of being ripped off. Cheapest oil synthetic oil change on a vehicle around hear is north of $100. I can buy oil/filter for less than $30. Polaris dealer here is a nightmare - they want over $300 to change fluids.

That said, alot depends on ability and facility to do the work. I think if I would find a local car mechanic I trust to maintain the Ranger.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Nobody touches my machines (that includes cars and trucks) but me.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I change all my own fluids and use Polaris brand for all. I also pull the skid plate each time I do so, and give everything a good inspection while I am at it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I do! Pretty darn easy and I come away feeling more confidence that it was done properly.
To make it easy Polaris makes lubrication kits.

What model do you have?
I'm ready to do my 2012 800 Crew LE too. What kit are you talking about? The one with a filter and 2 qts. of oil? What about the rest of the stuff?

Gordy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok I have a 900 crew. Need to do the full fluid change. And I'm not going to use the polaris band. 1 it's to high. 2 I have to drive 2hours one way to any dealer in my area. I live in west texas. Want a straight answer. What other brand y'all use that I can get from the auto store here in town? Brand and weight for the front diff, trans/rear diff and motor oil? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I do my own getting ready to do one now T&S

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I haven't looked but I suspect that the viscosity and type of oil you need isn't going to be found in the auto parts store. Maybe a farm and ranch store?

The engine uses 0w-40. That's pretty hard to come by. I've seen 0w-20 at Walmart but nothing close to 0w-40. Then again, I haven't exactly been looking for it. I had all my aftermarket oil and filters shipped to me. I let my fingers (on the keyboard) do the walking/driving.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well here farm/ranch/auto all in one. And we don't have anything like a walmart here. Another question y'all keep saying a 0w-40. But the maunal says 5w-50 or 10w-50.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
jriley, you're right, I said 0w-40 but that's not what the owner's manual calls for. Mine says 2w-50. I deviate slightly from that and use 0w-40. I don't see the high temperatures that you do in Texas. Here is what I see in the manual:
POLARIS recommends the use of POLARIS PS-4 PLUS Performance Synthetic 2W-50 4-cycle oil or a similar oil.
I use good quality synthetic fluid. I may take a sample of my oil and have it tested by Blackstone Labs, just to be sure there aren't any issues. I do that with my truck's engine oil that has an oil change interval of 10,000+ miles.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
.....Another question y'all keep saying a 0w-40. But the maunal says 5w-50 or 10w-50.
The newer machine spec' a 0W40 oil, while the older machines spec' a 5W50 oil. Honestly, I feel that either would suffice.....we're not talking about a huge difference there. With you being in TX (no "extremely" cold temp's), I wouldn't be overly concerned about running regular old 10W40.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts