PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

We've got a 2014 Ranger XP 900 here now and have been kicking around some different product ideas. One we will be doing for sure is a 2" lift kit but we're also looking at how bad this thing sags w/ OEM springs and thinking we can make a pretty big improvement with a simple single rate kit made from our high-end U.S. made springs to get your ride height back and probably ride and handle a bit better too. I know we could do a kit for $325 too. Who would be interested if we put a little time in to this?

For those who don't know about Racer Tech, we're a high end fabrication and development company who specializes in the high performance racing segment of the UTV industry by working with factory sponsored racers and the OEM's themselves. We've been selling replacement spring kits for years for the RZR's and have had enormous success with the kits. We contribute this to the proper design of our kits from nearly a decade of racing and engineering experience specific to the UTV industry. Whenever we can, we like to loop back in to the recreational market and try to develop products for the guys just looking for something better that no one else offers. We already have a single rate spring replacement kit for the Ranger XP 700/800 we've been selling for years and have a lot of happy customers.

Please let us know your thoughts!

Thanks!

Here's exactly what the kit would be:

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you need a beta tester, I volunteer!
Seriously, I'd be interested...

·
Administrator
7,005 Posts
What spring rates will you be offering F/R.
Do you sell the insulators/spring pads seperately?

Just for information purposes, would you post an overview of the different type of springs ( linear, progressive, etc), pros and cons.

I really enjoyed your article on the differences between top and bottom mounted lift kits.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have been wanting to upgrade my springs/ shocks on my 2015 900 xp , im curious as to What benefits would someone have with these springs compared to the stock springs on a polaris ranger?

·
Registered
764 Posts
You asked for opinions...

My opinion is that $325 is far too high for springs... There are several after market options out there already that are much less expensive... Heck, a set of springs from King Shocks only cost $240....

Second, you state the OEM springs 'sag badly'.... Not sure what exact machine you are talking about specifically but the OEM springs that came on my 900 crew actually aren't bad, (although i did upgrade them) and a couple of well known aftermarket shock manufacturers I talked to agreed, and they sell upgraded springs :)

So my opinion...get your pricing in line with the current after market and dont waste effort saying how bad another product is but rather highlight how good yours is and what makes it different/better...

Good luck....

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the delay guys.. For some reason this forum doesn't send me a notification when someone responds to a post(?)...

We would probably just sell single rate kits since I don't really think a dual rate kit would have enough value for the cost. We could certainly try it though! We'd plan on doing a beta test session with this kit to get some out there and try them. In this time we would offer the normal 10% off we do for beta kits and would be willing to exchange springs with these customers if needed to get the perfect setup and gain some valuable experience.

We normally don't sell just the adapter hardware separately because we prefer to sell in full kits. We don't really make it a point of disclosing all our spring rates either.. Especially not for a new kit... Once it's out there the info is public I guess but we don't do much to help move that along. ;)

The biggest improvement in the single rate kit I'm proposing would be ride height coming back up to original (if your machine is experiencing spring sag yet) and better ride and handling for machines carrying more weight than they came with whether that be from accessories, added payload or custom applications. The Ranger isn't a performance machine so we're really not looking to set the world on fire with this kit. It's just an idea I had the other day to offer another product that helps some customers we may not have reached before with a proven product we've got years of experience perfecting and large supplies of now.

To tjm's comments; The statement the kit is too expensive could make sense if the other options weren't made in China just like the OEM ones. Or, if the aftermarket shock companies were selling the springs with the required adapters for the price you stated. The rest of your post just makes me feel like it's not worth debating you... But thanks for your opinion.

·
Registered
764 Posts
To tjm's comments; The statement the kit is too expensive could make sense if the other options weren't made in China just like the OEM ones. Or, if the aftermarket shock companies were selling the springs with the required adapters for the price you stated....
Lol, i see your sales tactics and they are shameful, you'd have a much better time focusing on what makes your product good instead of trying to bash your competitors, it makes you look like your product has nothing different/better to offer....

I can think of two spring companies that sell springs that are not made in china, nice try but very weak...

The pricing i quoted is spot on, no adapters are needed if you sell the correct size spring in the first place...

The rest of your post just makes me feel like it's not worth debating you... But thanks for your opinion.
I'm not looking for a debate, you asked for opinions, i gave you an honest and helpful one as a consumer....your lack of response has nothing to do with 'worth'....

·
Vendor
1,653 Posts
I have spent a little time researching rates and swapping springs on my RZR and have to partially agree with tjm. I don't know what the dimensional requirements are to fit the 900's shocks, so I can't speak to the adapters. I understand that there's some testing involved to find the best rates, so of course that raises the costs. There's also the convenience for the customer of not having to figure all this out on their own, that's worth a few bucks for sure.

Even taking all that into account, you should be able to market a complete kit at less than $300 shipped and make enough for it to be worthwhile. Just my opinion.

·
Vendor
1,653 Posts
Second, you state the OEM springs 'sag badly'.... Not sure what exact machine you are talking about specifically but the OEM springs that came on my 900 crew actually aren't bad, (although i did upgrade them) and a couple of well known aftermarket shock manufacturers I talked to agreed, and they sell upgraded springs :)
Unless Polaris has done something completely different with the OEM springs on the 900, they will sag. EVERY factory Polaris spring I've ever owned has, some quicker than others. The last set had lost 2" of ride height in less than 500 miles.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know it's two different setups totally, but I rode in a Can Am four seater yesterday with the fox shocks and needless to say, night and day with real suspension. My question is, is it worth messing with springs other than maybe some cheap spacers just to get the sag out without putting a better shock on, or is the stock shock going to work that much better with a better spring? I don't know, I haven't done anything to mine but rode it. I had a rhino before and I know on it the sport model with the reservoir shocks rode quite a bit better than the regular one. I swapped springs on my standard rhino and it was still a crappy ride until I put some progressive shocks on it. That is my only reference to any kind of testing that kind of stuff so I figured this was a decent thread to ask on.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would be interested in a set of springs if rate and pricing is competitive. Spring color would also help dress up them some. I push a lot of snow with my 2014 XP 900 with a 6 foot boss snow plow fully hydraulic power. So I would test a set and provide full reviews if you are interested and we can get together. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Tractor

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Tjm....if I ever need a good lawyer to argue my case...I'm gonna call ya man....(I love this forum)

·
Registered
106 Posts
a better spring /suspension setup is always welcome. I'm interested, maybe a dual spring setup? maybe tjm could give us a review on his spring set up? always interested in better ride and performance.

looks like I have a front shock leaking, arrgghhh. 13 ranger 900 base model.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Reactions: makin tracks

·
Registered
552 Posts
My Ranger could use a boost in the ass when carrying loads. I have the shocks set wide and the preload maxed. During maple season I carry 130+ gallons of "water" in the rear and it squats pretty good. In the pic you'd see the a-arms are about flat. This is at 50% load for me and this was 2014. I think it has gotten worse since.

The key here is I don't want a lumber wagon when empty either. I think if the old HD nivomat shocks work as advertised they may have been a good solution for me.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.