PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I installed the Polaris Pro HD 4500 winch with synthetic rope and Auto-Stop. Following installation, I disconnected the Auto-Stop (details later). Seems like a great winch with very smooth and quiet operation. This is my first experience with rope, but everything I've read and heard has been good.

Here's what you get:

Please excuse the dirty Ranger. I keep my Harley clean....I keep my Ranger dirty :wink: 8)
First thing I did was to remove the center shroud that covers the drive shaft, cooling lines, wiring harness, etc. Also removed the passenger side under seat cargo bin to gain access to the battery.

Then snake the red and black cables from the battery up to the front where you'll locate the contactor

Mount the Contactor. The contactor terminals are color coded :)

Next, go ahead and mount the winch to its mounting plate

Remove the front bumper with 15mm socket and wrench

Mounting the winch assembly to the Ranger's frame is a snap as the mounting plate has 'hooks' built into it so that you can hang the assembly while installing the fasteners. Top fasteners go into threaded holes. Bottom holes require bolts, washers and nuts.

Pull the blue and yellow cable up from the winch to the contactor

Attach the fairlead to bumper

Re-install bumper

Drill 1" or 1&1/16th" hole in designated location on dash for remote switch

I didn't snap a pic of it, but the other end of this switch harness gets snaked up through a grommet on the bulkhead between the cab and underhood compartment.

Zip tie up cables

All done!

At the beginning of this write-up, I mentioned that I disconnected the Auto-Stop feature. I didn't do it because it doesn't work....it works great. What I don't like about it is that it stops the winch about an inch short of snug, leaving the hook dangling and banging on the bumper. I know some guys like to attach the hook somewhere on the bumper and snug it up. I don't like doing that. I don't like the way it looks, and I don't like leaving the rope exposed to where it rubs on the things I'm driving over.

I also installed a dash switch in addition to the remote switch so I can operate the winch without having to hook-up the remote.

·
Rally Committee
3,020 Posts
Great write up

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
That looks like a nice winch Randy. Straight forward looking setup, thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Randy nice install.What did you do with the short red and black wire that comes in the kit. I didn't use mine and they dont tell you in the directions.I think they are for the accessory bar . Do you know what they are for. THANKS Jeff

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JGS UTVS said:
Randy nice install.What did you do with the short red and black wire that comes in the kit. I didn't use mine and they dont tell you in the directions.I think they are for the accessory bar . Do you know what they are for. THANKS Jeff
Jeff....I thought maybe you'd know :D :?

At first, I thought perhaps they wanted you to place the red one as a jumper of sorts from the battery to the starter solenoid. But as I thought more about it (and I am by NO means an electronics wiz), that didn't make sense to me, so I just wired the long red cable straight to the battery side of the solenoid (as it suggests in the instructions). The long black lead I attached straight to the negative side of the battery. As you say, the instructions are unclear as to what they are for (glad someone else read them that way too :) ).

Well, that's why we discuss these installations here....so we can help each other out :wink:. Jeff, how do you like your winch so far??

·
Registered
36 Posts
I never used the winch yet to see how it works. but I went with the cable instead of rope.Because I was told after the rope gets wet a few times from washing, rain or muddy water the rope stays damp in the middle of the spool weaking the fibers.That,s what I heard. As far as the small cables, the ends of them have the small hole in them that would just fit over the accessory bar.and in the kit there was to small nuts that would thread on the bar post.I think they are jumpers to power up another post on the accessory bar for additional accessories. My dealer could not give me a answer.

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JGS UTVS said:
I never used the winch yet to see how it works. but I went with the cable instead of rope.Because I was told after the rope gets wet a few times from washing, rain or muddy water the rope stays damp in the middle of the spool weaking the fibers.That,s what I heard. As far as the small cables, the ends of them have the small hole in them that would just fit over the accessory bar.and in the kit there was to small nuts that would thread on the bar post.I think they are jumpers to power up another post on the accessory bar for additional accessories. My dealer could not give me a answer.
That makes some sense. I hadn't heard that about the synthetic cable. But I do know that these ropes are very popular not only among ATV/UTV enthusiasts, but among 'Jeepers' as well. Those guys are pretty serious about their 4-wheeling and I'm sure a google search on some of their forums would shed some light on the steel vs. rope discussion.

·
Administrator
6,360 Posts
JGS UTVS said:
I don't think the moisture will hurt the synthetic fibers any more that the steel, but mud and dirt will. Dirt particles that make their way into the braid of the rope will act like sand paper and may break down the fibers eventually. It's a good idea to un-spool the rope every now and then and wash it out by compressing the rope to open up the braid and swish it around around a bit in a bucket of water to get out as much dirt as you can. But even with that, I would still opt for the synthetic over the steel for added strength, easier handling, and safety factors.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ran

Keep us posted on what you do for a dash switch. I've been thinking along the same lines.

As for the dangle factor I wonder if you could use the magnet and simply duct tape the hook to the eye?

As for the synthetic rope I did see where there is a company making some with an extra fine cover braid designed to keep the grit out of the core.

Here is the link http://www.masterpull.com/synthetic-winch-line-comparison/

I'm thinking that a Masterpull line with the winch stop may be enough on it's own OR add the magnet and tape the hook to the stop thimble. Again the tape will allow movement, but keep things in position decent.

http://www.masterpull.com/item/DG014050WSB/1/

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forde and John,

Thanks for the comments and tips. Good discussion here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Randy- Thanks for the tutorial. I recently purchased my first Ranger and the winch is the first accesory I plan on installing. How did you install the winch switch? Will you post a pic of the switch and grommet you ran the harness through? I have a handful of other questions about the 900 but I don't want to hijack your thread.

BTW, nice 1911 grips. Did you make them?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Nice post Randy. If you are going to be plowing a lot of snow with a lot of shifting between forward and reverse, Polaris makes, or did make anyway, a shift knob that incorporates a rocker switch on it for winch operation. I had one on my '08 and '10 Ranger and it worked great , you could simutaneously shift to reverse while raising the blade and lower the blade while driving forward, without having to take your hand off the shifter. The only thing I did different on mine was to install a toggle switch that fed the rocker switch, so when I was'nt using the winch much in the off season I wasn't accidently engaging the winch.

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
treetopflying said:
Randy- Thanks for the tutorial. I recently purchased my first Ranger and the winch is the first accesory I plan on installing. How did you install the winch switch? Will you post a pic of the switch and grommet you ran the harness through? I have a handful of other questions about the 900 but I don't want to hijack your thread.

Kevin,

First off, welcome to PRC! :) As for your 'other questions,' please feel free to ask them in a new post. If they are questions pertaining to the XP 900, you're in the right section. Your fellow PRC members will be happy to assist..

I apologize for not posting pics of the switch install. I'll try to get a pic or two up today that shows that part of the installation. Its very straight-forward, however....and access is easy. As I indicated above, in addition to the remote switch wiring, I spliced a dash switch into the system and I'll post a pic of that as well.

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WinnebagoWarrior said:
Nice post Randy. If you are going to be plowing a lot of snow with a lot of shifting between forward and reverse, Polaris makes, or did make anyway, a shift knob that incorporates a rocker switch on it for winch operation. I had one on my '08 and '10 Ranger and it worked great , you could simutaneously shift to reverse while raising the blade and lower the blade while driving forward, without having to take your hand off the shifter. The only thing I did different on mine was to install a toggle switch that fed the rocker switch, so when I was'nt using the winch much in the off season I wasn't accidently engaging the winch.
Thanks Dave...a fellow Wisconsinite.. :) . I get through Fond du lac quite a bit. I have family in Oshkosh too.. But I digress..

Yes, I am familar with the shift-knob switch you refer to, and I might install that one. Good tip regarding a master switch to deactivate the shift-knob unit too :wink: . I used to plow snow for a living and always like the plow controls in my left hand so as to keep my right open for shifting. But you're right...with the lift switch incorporated into the shift lever, a guy is all set..

·
Registered
552 Posts
Speaking of Fondy, Dave do you know is Croc's bar still going in Dundee WI? We were there several years back and they used to make one killer burger.

OK back on topic does anybody know whoi builds the Polaris 4500# winch for them?

The shifter mounted switch would be cool if plowing, but I'm thinking dash would be fine also. My magnetic fairlead is in at dealer so I can take off the roller and the bent grille (delivered that way) and see if I can straighten it before installation.

Also is there a thimble used with the synthetic rope or a protective sleeve or anything on the first feet?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ran:

With respect to the rope, I have been using it down here in south central WI for three years. If could avoid it, I would never go back to cable again. So much easier to handle and I am not scared to death that the cable will break and come back through my windshield.

I've broken one, but it was my own dang fault and I tried to get cute and run it underneath my Ranger to back myself up in a sticky situation (It worked well enough though... for a while! :oops: ). This time around, since I have a wide spool, I got 1/4" from Motoalliance... and I also keep a spare rope in my storage bin just in case I am in deep dodo and break another some day. It's not cheap insurance, but worth the peace of mind knowing it is there.

Bob

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chesapeake said:
Ran:

With respect to the rope, I have been using it down here in south central WI for three years. If could avoid it, I would never go back to cable again. So much easier to handle and I am not scared to death that the cable will break and come back through my windshield.

I've broken one, but it was my own dang fault and I tried to get cute and run it underneath my Ranger to back myself up in a sticky situation (It worked well enough though... for a while! :oops: ). This time around, since I have a wide spool, I got 1/4" from Motoalliance... and I also keep a spare rope in my storage bin just in case I am in deep dodo and break another some day. It's not cheap insurance, but worth the peace of mind knowing it is there.

Bob
Bob...thanks for the review on the synthetic rope. I need to get a protective sleeve for mine..

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TD-Max said:
Speaking of Fondy, Dave do you know is Croc's bar still going in Dundee WI? We were there several years back and they used to make one killer burger.

OK back on topic does anybody know whoi builds the Polaris 4500# winch for them?

The shifter mounted switch would be cool if plowing, but I'm thinking dash would be fine also. My magnetic fairlead is in at dealer so I can take off the roller and the bent grille (delivered that way) and see if I can straighten it before installation.

Also is there a thimble used with the synthetic rope or a protective sleeve or anything on the first feet?
John...there's the rubber donut, but no protective sleeve..

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
treetopflying said:

Kevin...Yes, I make grips for 1911s (and I make all sorts of things from wood, for that matter :) )

Here are the pics you wanted. I intend to clean up the switch wiring that comes through the front bulkhead, but this is what it looks like right now (I want to lengthen the wiring and get some surface mounted clips so that I can run the wiring against the cowling)

Here is the dash switch I was referring to. This is an old one I had laying around, but I want to replace it with a new one. This one gets stuck in the 'up' position.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts