PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was plowing today and noticed that when raising the winch, at some point it will shut the machine off. It is at no certain point. Almost seems although there is too much strain on the winch so it kills the Ranger. Anyone experience this before? The machine will start back up.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just tried it again with no snow. It dies and nothing works for about 5 seconds then everything comes back on. Plow works without starting the Ranger back up.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Test battery with volt meter...low or overloaded battery is one thing that can cause your symptoms...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Hook a volt meter on the battery and check the voltage when you activate the winch.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hook a volt meter on the battery and check the voltage when you activate the winch.
With the Ranger running I read 14.43 volts at the battery. With the plow going up, it drops to 11.50 area. After I let off the button it is at 12.30 range and creeps back up to 13+. After raising and lowering about six-seven time, it shut the Ranger off and the volts were at 11.73.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Check you battery with ranger not running...

How old is the battery, has it ever been run dead before?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
12.22 with key off
12.10 with key on
10.30 operating plow
11.75 with key on after using plow once

Not sure on the other two questions as I just bought this a month ago.

·
Registered
2020 Ranger 1000 XP
187 Posts
Is this EFI?

It is common for electronics to shut itself down when a low voltage is detected to prevent undesirable operation. It is designed this way.

A weak battery that is being yanked down to 10 Volts will likely cause a shut down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
451 Posts
Get a stronger battery. Stock battery can't handle winches very long.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
With the Ranger running I read 14.43 volts at the battery. With the plow going up, it drops to 11.50 area. After I let off the button it is at 12.30 range and creeps back up to 13+. After raising and lowering about six-seven time, it shut the Ranger off and the volts were at 11.73.
The battery acts like it is too small or is bad. Since it shows 14.4 volts it appears to be charging correctly, but since the volts come back up so quickly on an apparently discharged battery my guess is you need a new one, as large as will fit in there, and you need to charge it completely up before you use it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok. I guess I need battery suggestions. I remember reading about an Oddessy battery?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I don't know the size that fits your rig but I am sure someone else will help you out.

I suggest keeping a smart charger or maintainer on the battery when it is not being used. As much load as the winch puts on the battery it will never completely charge back up while you are using it to plow.

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
I think the Odyssey 925L will fit (can another '08 owner verify?). Ditto on what Rock says about a smart charger - slow plowing will make it tough on your stator to keep up.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you guys. I will be ordering an Odessy 925L today. Tuesday they are calling for more snow so I hope to have it by then.

I also notice a stumbling while first pressing on the gas. Almost similar to like when the parking brake is still on. Would this too be the battery or do I have another issue?

·
Registered
559 Posts
The winch definitely puts a draw on the system. I found a couple of little things that helped out on mine when I first started plowing and had similar problems.

Check the battery water level. Even though the machine was new, couple of months old, the water lever needed significant refilling.

Check the nuts on the three studs to the right of the battery. My ground was rather loose, I could move the able VERY easily.

Put your trickle charger on when you are done plowing.

I did the three things above and it made a big difference. In the short term till I could get an auxiliary battery and all the hardware together.

In case it matters..... 2013 800 full size. I got a smoking deal on a group 24 Exide sealed Marine Battery and put it in the bottom of the tub under the driver seat. I cut a piece of 3/8" plywood over the top so I can still use the storage container for stuff. Still recharge after every plowing event with the trickle charger. No fancy isolator or switches, brackets, mounts, cabling and so on. If I parked and partied then I would invest in additional pieces, my boat and pontoon have the fancy switches and isolators.

Not hating on the Oddessy options but I question the capacity of those little 925's to a good old group 24 or similar size battery. I also believe that dollar per pound and minutes of reserve capacity, the "regular/full" size battery is a better way to go. Space not being an issue.

Du

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for the info. I see a lot of people running the Odyssey on their Rangers. Figured there must be a reason.

On another note, after plowing today, I hooked the trickle charger up but it said it was fully charged and never went to charging.

·
Registered
559 Posts
There are also many that run a full size battery. I think the big attraction to the Oddessy is that they are AGM style and can take a beating better than a traditional lead acid battery, OE.

Likewise more construction companies are putting in the high dollar optima batteries in their trucks when the OE battery dies, best thing I ever did! We had some that would barely make it a year and a half. Now we get about 4.

Then again I don't typically fall in line with the Kool kids....

What year is your mustang? My son and I have fox bodies.

Du

1 - 20 of 58 Posts