PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m considering adding a winch to my 570 crew. At present, I’m thinking of a winch on a 2” receiver similar to this one Hitch Receiver Mount for Winches with mounted winch, thus giving me flexibility of pulling from rear or front depending on which works best in a given situation. I would like to hear thoughts/opinions on this option. The single biggest challenge I see is storage of the winch until it would be needed.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I think that would be a great idea, it would definitly come in handy

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
Good idea - several members have done this. Down sides are storage when you are not using it, mounting/plugging it in when you are knee deep in mud, and a bit awkward to handle. Pay attention to the length of your cable runs - depending on where you mount your contactor and the size of your winch, you'll probably need to up the gauge of the cables, especially to the rear. Normally, these are the type of connectors most folks use.175A Connector Winch Trailer Battery Connect Disconnect Quick Wire Harness Plug | eBay

TUFF STUFF Electric Winch Quick Connector Plug - 2 Gauge Wire | TruckandWinch.com

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I'm not a fan of moving the winch from front to rear for several reasons. 1 will not look as good as a permanent mount up front. 2 is you will have to deal with putting the winch were you want once you are stuck and that will never be easy. 3. The rear will be so low that it will be impractical or impossible to move there after your stuck. 3. In 30+ years I have never seen a situation that I could not get out of with the winch on front. 4. Having a winch on back may make me try to go places (especially after lots of malted liquid courage) that I otherwise would not have done. 5. Winches are fairly cheap and a better option would be to get one the or fabricate a rear mount that is higher above the factory receiver and put a winch front and back.

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
I have to agree with what Larry said above.

I will add that if/when you decide to add a winch, make sure it's mounted in an easily accessible (or at least visible) location. The one on my '06 XP was behind the grill and a little difficult to see, but the one on my '12 RZR4XP is tucked in the frame behind the radiator and nearly impossible to see. That makes evenly re-spooling the cable extremely difficult......and proper re-spooling is imperative to good winch operation and long cable life.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
True that! My Browning Edition came with the winch hidden behind the grill and I hated it. Once and moved it out and up on top of my new bumper, a 1000 times better.
I have to agree with what Larry said above.

I will add that if/when you decide to add a winch, make sure it's mounted in an easily accessible (or at least visible) location. The one on my '06 XP was behind the grill and a little difficult to see, but the one on my '12 RZR4XP is tucked in the frame behind the radiator and nearly impossible to see. That makes evenly re-spooling the cable extremely difficult......and proper re-spooling is imperative to good winch operation and long cable life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.