PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone run chains in the winter..?? I drove today in 13" of snow...very very hard going. I happened to think I had tire chains I used to run on my 'Big Bear' .... I might dig around and find them.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Some previous posts recommend the use of snow chains. Search feature may help you.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I run chains all winter on the rear. Basically can go anywhere with them on.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I'm curious to see what you come up with for chains.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ones I ran on my Yamaha Hrtkd....were just tire chains....like for a 14 or 15 " tires. I bought a bunch of short rubber bungees to really tighten them up...drove a lot of snowmobile trails(in my younger days) in winters with very little snow. I had them on all four wheels and still drove as fast as I wanted.

·
Registered
166 Posts
im putting a set on my 500.. wish I could put em on the front but just aint gonna happen.... tirechains.com has the best deals...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just received and installed my tire chains. Since I'm in Canada I ordered them from CanadianChains.ca. I opted to go with their "Gripper V-Bar Diamond Pattern Chains" and I also ordered a set of their Spider Bungee's. Their site is well done and let's you choose your chains based on your tire size. When I received the chains and bungee's I spent about 2 hours trying to install them, but they were just way too big. I emailed the company and sent them a couple pics showing how oversized they were. I received a reply very quickly. They apologized and told me that they had been having a few problems with their system where the wrong size chains were being shipped out. The sent me a new set (I really respected that they did not try to make me wait until they received the first set back before sending the new set to me) and they provided me with a shipping account # for sending mine back, which was good since chains are of course heavy and I'm in Ontario and they are in BC (also, part of the reason I ordered from them in the first place was because they have free shipping in Canada). A few days later I received the new chains, which fit perfectly. I was very impressed with their customer service. I have not yet had a chance to use the chains but they sure do seem well built.
DSC_0006 (2).JPG

·
Registered
114 Posts
Do chains help any on just frozen ground? Or muddy topsoil ? I've never had any, but might be helpful getting wood in when the ground is frozen

·
Registered
12 Posts
Personally that's the only way I would go after running them all last winter pulling the fish house and plowing trails on the lake. 019 (2).JPG

·
Registered
160 Posts
I tried the V bar chains last winter. My issue was that the treads on the bighorns is too deep. There was barely any chain touching the ground. I returned them. I didn't have any trouble pulling my portable ice house around the lakes. Just my .02

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow ...those are some kick ass chains Dadasaurus.....they look like a small version of logging skidder chains....mine are 'v' bar and older , I didn't take a close up pic I should have, did go through my field after I got them on. I could not make it without them the day before. So chains do help.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks Stainlessman! I've got a couple real steep hills here to plow so I figured that I'd better get the best chains I could find. I haven't had a chance to put these to the test yet as I just got them installed, but I'm looking forward to seeing them in action. Dark Helmet has given me some great info and advice and I got the idea of running chains from him.

Reactions: Dark Helmet

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CDQ3 the doors are Polaris canvas...I really like them...I looked and looked...the cheapest price I found was $840. bucks...(ridicules in my opinion) , but yes I like them very much.

·
Registered
166 Posts
one zero, absolutely.. they bite the ice

1 - 16 of 16 Posts