PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post. I bought a 2015 Polaris Ranger 900 XP White Lighting, and I am concerned about this connector underneath the seat. The connecter is Purple on the inside and is not connected to anything. It's just laying there unplugged, and I am worried about the connections in it rusting. I did not see anything or anywhere it might plug into, also is the computer/wiring/connections underneath the seat waterproof? Every time it rains every thing i have underneath the seat gets wet, including the computer stuff. I could of got a better deal on a 2014 but I heard the engine/clutch intake allowed water to get in the clutch, and the 2015 had a different/better intake. Well every time we have a hard rain the belt slips and i have to take the drain plug out, thats the main reason I got a 2015 instead of a 2014. Is this normal? Is it ok just to leave the drain plug out? I mainly just use it on gravel or pavement nothing ever deep enough to let water in the drain. This is my first Ranger, a big improvement from an ezgo I love it so far all most time for my first service. Thanks every body for your time i appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
Purple connector sounds like the diagnostic plug, only used by the dealer to hook up their Digital Wrench software. Wouldn't hurt to put some dielectric grease in the holes and also on all the other electrical connections you can get to.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. That sounds like a good idea. I haven't had good luck with dielectric grease, of course this is a little different. I had some expensive wire nuts one time that had the grease in them all ready. I used them to put two pieces of wire for a RV together. To cut the long story short, I had no power. I took my tester and checked to make sure the breaker was working and ohmed the two pieces of wire. I couldn't figure it out until I put them back together and wiped all the grease off everything. The grease does not conduct and that's the reason why I didn't have power. I didnt have power for a while trying to figure this out. And I thought I was doing something good buy using expensive wire nuts, I guess not. Thank you for your time.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
Richard, you are absolutely right about dielectric grease being non-conductive! I've beat that drum several times on this forum. A lot of guys just pack the connectors full of grease, plug them together and hope for the best - and more often not, it works just fine. If the connectors fit tight enough to displace the grease on the actual pins and receptacles, everything will be fine. But as you noted in your RV example, it can, in fact, insulate the connections from each other. When I coat the WeatherPack (and Metropack and Bosch)connectors on my Ranger (and RZR), I put the grease around where the wires enter the connectors, on the rubber gasket between the connectors, and, if I can get to them, at the BASE of the pins on the male side of the connector leaving the top part of the pins and the female portion grease free thus ensuring that there is a good metal-to-metal contact. Theoretically, if the WeatherPacks were put together correctly, you shouldn't need grease on them anywhere, but I know from building a few, they don't always use the proper size plugs and seals so the watertight integrity may be compromised. Since I don't always go "by the book" I figure some Chinese assembly line worker may not either - that, and I'm a bit OCD! As far as using dielectric grease on the purple connector, I would just skim over the top of the holes lightly and hope that the service tech has enough sense to wipe it clean before plugging in their connector! Dielectric grease is good over a wide temperature range ( -65° to 400°F) so you shouldn't have to worry about it melting and running off.

P.S. I've had good luck when using wire nuts to put the twisty connector (nut) on first, THEN filling the cavity at the bottom of the nut with grease! ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I did seal mine with a rubber cap I found out in the shop, but it is sure cheap of Polaris not to cap their exposed wire leads with some sort of wire loom plug or rubber cap.

John

Reactions: fswan

·
Registered
15 Posts
looks they they covered the connector issues pretty well, as far as your belt slipping during heavy rain i don't think thats normal, i also have a 2015 ranger and have had no problems. maybe you already have but i would check the hose connections and hose clamps to the clutch housing. pull the clutch cover inspect and replace the seal, look at the fixed half of the housing for cracks and ensure its sealed where the shafts come in then look at the cover for cracks or any damage. i have put a snorkle on my machine now and have had my ranger in water many time up over the seat and once about 3" up the winsheild with no water getting into my clutches.(almost learned expensive lesson for crossing rivers at night)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks fswan & John. I'm sorry akwoodsy I didn't word that right I don't have a roof or any other accessories yet so I do not drive it in the rain. It's after every hard rain I have to take the drain plug out. Would it be alright just to leave it out? I don't mud ride or do much of anything with it until the end of March. I'm going to get my first service done then wash it and put the cover I bought on it. Also the back suspension has been squeaky ever since the first time I washed it . Should I be worried about greasing it allready even tho it's never been in mud or water just gravel & blacktop?

·
Registered
15 Posts
i wouldn't leave the plug out but that's me. the water must be running down the side of the machine and getting in to the intake or exhaust screens and then down the hoses into the clutch housing. I read somewhere there was a relocation kit avaialble for those. it sounds different than a snorkle that maybe something to try or if your a crafty feller your could temporary make a cover allowing them still move air but divert water over them like a modified dryer vent sorta speak just to see if your problem goes away. if this cures your issue then you know the intake/exhaust vent is the problem and i would contact the dealer to see if this is isolated to just a few machines or ir is it a common issue that thier working on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks akwoodsy it looks like it might be coming in from the exhaust/intake under the bed. I'm not being smart but why not leave the plug out? I'm not going to be doing any water or mud riding. I'm still concerned about the computer under the seat it gets soaking wet. Should I buy a grease gun allready? How often should I grease the suspension? The first wash made it squeak is that normal? My roll cage makes pinging noise while going over uneven terrain. I'm trying not to let all the small stuff bother me, but it is a brand new machine. Thanks again for all your help I appreciate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.