PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I have an 2010 RZR 800 EFI that will not start when cold. I got it going the second time it decided to do this.
The first time I blamed the fuel it was -10 deg and had been sitting outside for a few hours. No big deal I towed it to a warm garage waited a few days let it warm up and it popped right off. When I say it would not start I mean it turns over like crazy but does not start and run. I was figuring it was frozen fuel line as I had just bought it and did not put anything in fuel to prevent this. I have since then got new plugs and changed the oil. It had original plugs and was rough idling for a few minutes then ran fine. I started using Sea Foam adding a few ounces to Caseys gas that is Ethanol and I had no problems for a few months. Saturday am it was 10 deg. I drove it to work it sat outside for about 3 hours and I went to start it to warm it up a few minutes and it would turn over like crazy but it would not start. Tried the turn on ignition and cycle the fuel pump a couple times still no start. I took the air filter cover off and took off the filter and gave it a shot of either and it popped right off and died. Gave it another shot of either and pushed on the gas peddle and it stayed running. I put the filter back in place and cover back on and drove it home. What is my next step?? The fuel pump sounds correct and has not changed since I have had it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I would check the fuel pressure on it before attempting to start it, during start and running. The 800 fuel pumps are notorious for failing at the least opportune time. Fuel pressure should be a minimum of 39 psi at any time the key is turned to "on". You can borrow a fuel pressure tester at most any auto parts store. Check the pressure at the end of the fuel rail.

If the pressure is good, then the problem is most likely a frozen fuel line somewhere between the tank and fuel rail. I'd try something like a small amount of heat with every cold weather fill up.

Good Luck, Mike

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Yeap, classic low fuel pressure symptoms.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have had similar problems with my Ranger/ The first time was last winter after trailering up to an area that was -20. Pulled fuel system apart and found it was an iced up fuel pump. I out additive in then and again at each fill up this winter. Since I no longer have room in the garage, it stays outside in the cold. If the temps are below about 20 degrees, same thing. Is it possible that there is a small amount of water that stays on a screen or something and freezes over in cold weather? I had an old snowmachine that I found a small droplet of water in the fuel pump years ago and that gave me no end to headaches until I found them.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
In addition to checking fuel pressure I would also look to see if it has spark when it is cold. Electronics can be sensitive to temperature extremes. A poor connection or open circuit anywhere, including inside relays or the ECU, can keep the ignition from firing. If you've got spark it isn't likely an electrical problem.

·
Registered
652 Posts
In addition to checking fuel pressure I would also look to see if it has spark when it is cold. Electronics can be sensitive to temperature extremes. A poor connection or open circuit anywhere, including inside relays or the ECU, can keep the ignition from firing. If you've got spark it isn't likely an electrical problem.
If he is getting an immediate start with a shot of ether(not for the novice, seen way to many related issues) probably can rule out no spark, maybe a very weak one but probably not the issue IMO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts