PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that Polaris has cancelled all of the 6x6's from their line-up, would anyone still want to buy the "last" 800-series Ranger 6x6 remaining at the dealership?

I know that there are rumors about a future 900 Ranger 6x6. But, there are just as many rumors that Polaris has wanted to drop these models for years, and will not be bringing them back. Meanwhile, the new 900-series vehicles seem to feature much improved engines and cabs.

So, is it "worthwhile" buying yesteryear's model 6x6, or better to embrace the future on only 4 wheels (and maybe consider tracks)?

Thanx, Dave.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Now that Polaris has cancelled all of the 6x6's from their line-up, would anyone still want to buy the "last" 800-series Ranger 6x6 remaining at the dealership?

I know that there are rumors about a future 900 Ranger 6x6. But, there are just as many rumors that Polaris has wanted to drop these models for years, and will not be bringing them back. Meanwhile, the new 900-series vehicles seem to feature much improved engines and cabs.

So, is it "worthwhile" buying yesteryear's model 6x6, or better to embrace the future on only 4 wheels (and maybe consider tracks)?

Thanx, Dave.
I have no experience with the Polaris Ranger 6x6 but do with John Deere 6x6. I do see the advantage of extra tires relative to some additional cargo capacity, but unless you are hauling something extremely dense, I don’t see anyone realistically overloading a 4 wheel ranger given the tiny bed. I do not like the way a 6x6 bites into turf when using in the yard, especially turning. I view the 6x6 as purpose machine with a narrow niche market, but if right for you, then make the purchase and do post some pictures :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would look at the resale of a 800 6x6 and then make my decision, first it would have to be under the current wholesale value by several hundreds of dollars and I mean several, second the new 570's and 900's are so superior to the old style 800 there is no comparison, and third if it hasn't sold by now wouldn't that tell you something. I have a good friend who has had two JD Gator 6x6 for many years with much successes, but the JD Gator is much smaller then the Polaris. He did state that if he had to do it over again he would have purchased the 4x4 models as the extra axle was not needed for his use. Personally having the "Turf" button is worth it to me.

John

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I hadn't heard about the re-newed CARB certification. Does anyone have a link to that announcement? Or know how long the new CARB cert good for?

Previously, the word was that Polaris was going to build 6x6's right up until the 1/1/2015 deadline, and then sell them until they ran out sometime during 2015.

Thanx, Dave.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I ran a '97 Polaris Magnum 6x6 (I know not apples to apples) for many years and it served me well, but not in the snow. This past summer I bought a 900 Ranger with tracks and going to four wheels or tracks has been great. I maintain a 1300 acre property and use it almost every day.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good news that the 800 Ranger 6x6 will be available for at least another year! But, part of my concern is still:

"is it worthwhile buying (an older series 800) 6x6, or better to embrace the future (900) on only 4 wheels (and maybe consider tracks)?"

Saw a 900 with 4" lift and 32" tires, set up new by my local dealer. It sure looked "capable"!

Thanx, Dave.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think it strictly depends on how much gear you carry. I carry too many spare parts and too much recovery & emergency gear to fit it all on a standard 4x4. If you travel fairly light, then a 900 4x4 all the way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No end in sight for the Ranger 6x6. Still using the 800 motor and older style frame, for roofs, doors, windshields, etc.

Classifieds / Alaska / All-terrain Vehicles
Classifieds Done Right℠

Featured Ad 444778
2016 Polaris Ranger 6x6
LocationWasilla, Alaska
Price$13,100
Telephone877-409-4639
Polaris Is Not Killing The 6x6 Ranger.

The 6x6 Ranger is not going away. Call us at Hatcher Pass Polaris, we have a lot of 2016's coming in. Put your deposit down today. There will be lots of them between all the dealers in the state. Our 2017 orders are already in as well. The unit is not changing at all for 2017 other than a slight air/fuel mix change, same horsepower, same torque.

To address the rumor, it was that the engine lost emissions approvals which was true, but Polaris obviously didn't take that setting down, so they went to work and negotiated a deal to address the problem. They were given a grace period to produce the 2016's then they just made some slight changes to the emissions of the engine and got back into compliance. The 2017 will have the same engine, just some technical changes to air fuel delivery and has the same horse power... So come on down and see us and we will hook you up with a brand new one :)

Hatcher Pass Polaris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.