PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 x 2018 ranger xp1000 6 seaters
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an xp 1000 At wide open throttle the fuel pressure drops from 50 psi to 20 psi then back to 50. Obviously this causes the engine to cut out. I have cleaned the fuel filter, ( Polaris does not offer the filter separate from the pump) cleaned the tank. Will run fine for about 15 minutes but starts again. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
654 Posts
You need to replace your fuel pump and not just the filter. Fuel pressure spec for your XP is 58 +/- 2 psi so the 50 shows you have a problem. Check out highflowfuel.com and give them a call.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have an xp 1000 At wide open throttle the fuel pressure drops from 50 psi to 20 psi then back to 50. Obviously this causes the engine to cut out. I have cleaned the fuel filter, ( Polaris does not offer the filter separate from the pump) cleaned the tank. Will run fine for about 15 minutes but starts again. Any suggestions?
How many hours since you had last replaced your fuel pump? Just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
340 Posts
It was never mentioned that the pump has been replaced, just the cleaned filter. They referenced the filter being part of the pump and I’m guessing they tried cleaning first to avoid pump replacement. Sounds like it needs a pump as @BPS stated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have 3 of them( 1000 xp’s). They all only have around 500 miles on them. We use them mainly in hunting season to transport disabled veterans in hunts.
Currently there are 2 of them down for similar symptoms. I have checked the fuel to rule out contamination, but I am going to put filters on the breather lines due to dust getting sucked into the tanks (hence cleaning the tank).
Is this common with these pumps? Hell we have others with a ton more hours and mile that have been flawless since new many years ago.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And also. Why could it maintain sufficient fuel pressure most of the time but drop off for a second or two then climb back up. And only under load or full throttle? That’s why I cleaned the filter. Sounded like an obstruction to me.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Why could it maintain sufficient fuel pressure most of the time but drop off for a second or two then climb back up.
That's the problem, 50 psi may be sufficient for idle and cruising around but not WOT. I'll bet that 50 will turn 40 then 30 and so on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now it drops from 50 to 20 in a matter of a second then to 50 again. I’m going to buy 2 fuel pumps and see. Seems kinda strange 2 pumps on 2 separate buggies with similar hours and miles. But maybe they got a bad run of pumps. Who knows.

·
Registered
919 Posts
You getting the 50 while testing and not moving? I'm betting that when under load on the trail the pressure is really poor. ECM manages lot of varibles the old carb models never did

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You getting the 50 while testing and not moving? I'm betting that when under load on the trail the pressure is really poor. ECM manages lot of varibles the old carb models never did
50 is at full throttle

·
Registered
340 Posts
Still seems pump related at this point, but I would be curious if the accel/throttle pedal is dropping out even with 100% input. I would expect fuel pressure to drop down if you let up or lose throttle for a second but recover back to normal very quickly. Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I believe fuel pressure should stay at 58 at all throttle positions and loads. The only thing that changes is fuel flow rate which is where a plugged fuel filter would come into play. At a low fuel flow rate a dirty filter wouldn't matter much. As the engine required more fuel but the flow rate was restricted by the dirty filter the pressure would drop. But in Guides case the initial pressure at idle is 50 so that means that either the pump is defective or the pressure regulator. Experience tells me it's the pump.

I know it's a fairly new unit but I've replaced OEM pumps on Rangers/Sportsmans with as little 50 hours on them. I've also seen original pumps with 1000's of hours on the clock.

That's why I use highflow, lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m going to try that route. $80 per pump isn’t so bad. Better than probably a grand a piece if I take them to the dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok. So I bought these quantum pumps as a lot of you recommended. I installed one on the machine that was jumping from 50-20 pounds at WOT. Now it runs ok at partial throttle but when you go past that the check engine light comes on and it sputters, if you stop after this it stalls. Got a whopping 32 miles per hour out of it on flat ground. Any sugggestions now?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I forgot to take my fuel pressure gauge with me. It’s like 40 miles from my house and I had other things to do so I didn’t drive home to get it.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Guides , I am wondering if something in the fuel assembly in the tank is leaking /bleeding pressure back in to the tank. Either that or your fuel pressure regulator is whacked. I would be pulling the assembly up...but not out... and running it to see if you have some spray/leak action going on in the tank.. If not, that leaves the regulator...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where is the regulator on these? Like I said we have 3 of these machines and now the third is running the same way. And before anyone asks it’s not bad fuel. We also have 2 Kawasaki mules and these have not skipped a beat. ( there also fuel injected). Plus some tractors and other vehicles running the same fuel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All that’s in the tank is the pump. The line goes from the pump to the outlet and that’s all other than the fuel guard.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts