PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a Polaris forum, but I know some of you guys are slick on motors period, I bought a 03 Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4 off a friend that needs work, last week his grand kids ran it in a deep puddle and it quit, I bought it cleaned it up put new plug cleaned bowl on carb, getting plenty of fuel and spark but won't hit a lick, what do y'all think? Cylinder scared?
I will say it's blowing out alot of air threw crank case vent tube when you hold throttle open and spin it... Any help appreciated

·
Registered
781 Posts
How deep was the "puddle"?
Was the timing of events just as you described (running great, entered some level of water, died and hasn't started since)?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was not there when submerged, but yes 4 wheeler ran great a day or 2 before that, and I know this 4 wheeler well, he said they ran it into a deep puddle and it killed it, there was muddy water on air filter, there was some signs of dirt beyond that, put new plug in, drained bowl and cleaned it, check the fire and it's there, even put some gas in cylinder and get no kinda hit, just spins

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really don't have a tool to do that with but that's what I think it is, I can order a cylinder and piston for about 500.00 and have head reworked while it's off, but would kinda like to know that's the prob😁

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just looked online, they not that expensive, I'm leaving taking ranger to Hatfield McCoy for 4 days tommorow, as soon as I get back I'll get one and check it, keep advice coming please, and thanks for help

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Don't order anything until you do some testing. Water in oil or gas? Change all oil fluids and see what comes out for a start.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No water in oil or gas, oil actually looked real good, had a little gassy smell to it but not terrible, the one thing that did throw me was the crankcase breather tube, when u would hold the throttle wide open and spin it, it would throw alot of gas smoke and fumes back threw it

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Compression test for sure. Leakdown, even better. I doubt the rings just gave up, maybe head/gasket from temp change.?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would that cause it not to try to hit with fuel and fire?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Depending on how far into the throttle they were , not uncommon that a con rod could also be bent .
But as every on else said compression test 1st.
hydro lock is one of the most causes of engine failure after water ingress

Reactions: Clubin

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay gentleman, here's the compression test about 58 psi with throttle wide open, what y'all thinking
IMG_20201110_110626171.jpg

·
Registered
781 Posts
The service manual for a 200-2004 Big Bear 400 shows an acceptable compression range of 177-227 psi.

58 = no good.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That what I just read online, so we think it's the cylinder/rings?
Screenshot_20201110-112439.png

·
Registered
781 Posts
A leaking valve/valves could also be the cause. If the valve seat is worn, has carbon buildup or if the valve was hit (bent valve).

·
Registered
434 Posts
To me a leaky valve is not really my 1st thought if it sucked up water ( unless dirt, small stone is lodged in one of the valves) and was running good before that. My guess is piston related as in bent rod or broken ring(s)
Next step is to bring it to TDC and adapt the compression tester hose (if you can) and compressed air (take oil cap off) at no more than 90 PSI ant listen for large leaks at carb or exhaust, it will tell you if exhaust or intake valve is bad.
After that cyl. head needs to come off.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts