PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
How do I know if oil pump is bad, I don't have the experience to break into the bottom of the engine

·
Registered
435 Posts
I reread you original post and could not find any reference of if there was any oil in the crankcase. I apologize if you had mentioned it but cannot find it.
It depends on how the oil pump is driven if it's gear driven maybe after assembly figure out a way to drive the pump and see if there is any oil getting to crucial parts.
or the bad thing...,after assembly start it and observe .is there a place on the block that would have a oil pressure port?
If so. again after assembly install Oil pressure gauge and observe .
BUT make sure to use a assembly lube or a thick oil when starting.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I cannot get piston off and it's not floping on rod real easy, kinda stuff, have not worked with it alot, but pin definitely didn't just slide out

Can the con rod be removed from the crank shaft? If so take the piston and con rod to a machine shop and let them press the pin out but if its seized due to low oil you may need a con rod and pin also.
At that point it might be better to get a reman. but that's going to be cost of repair vs. replace dilemma.

It's most likely it will be less expensive to repair ..... quick look $1700 for reman motor

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Not without going into bottom of motor, it has oil in it but I don't know how much and of they added any, will check that out

·
Registered
781 Posts
Do you have a wrist pin pulling tool? You may or may not be able to get it out with one.

I see that the connecting rod is removable but that means pulling the engine and doing a complete teardown. Also, the connecting rod is not automotive type so the crankshaft would have to be pressed apart, pressed back together and trued.

If you can't get the pin out you may want to think about how much you have in it and the overall condition of the four wheeler.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
They say the pin is welded to piston cause of heat, my question is can I cut piston with side grinder cut off wheel, it's only aluminum, right?, My son's coming to help, maybe we can get it loose

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
That looks just like the piston I pulled from mine after the $2.00 rubber oil line got ripped off. Ran mine a few seconds with valve cover off to verify oil pumping.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
What you recommend rangerewhit, think it would be ok with a new jug and new piston?? Think head looks fine?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
That's the way I would go. Oil pressure is the question. In the 20/20 hindsight, probably should have taken valve cover off and checked for oil flow after topping off. I suppose the kids said nothing about the piston slap and blue smoke? lol.. I would drain all the oils and inspect also.

·
Registered
781 Posts
As far as the head goes spray some brake cleaner into the intake and exhaust ports being careful to not let any come out of the port while applying it. Wait a minute or two and see if any makes its way past the valves. If they stay dry your good to go.

How did you get that wrist pin out?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Lodged a 2x4 from piston to wall of shop, heated piston holes with small torch and beat it out

·
Registered
435 Posts
My thought is to take a good look at the crank and rod mating area for damage also That's a lot of damage to the pin from lack of lubrication
I'm not sure but the crank may ride in roller bearing that may have been damaged. You will have to verify that.

·
Registered
781 Posts
And, if I remember correctly, the lower rod bearing is a needle bearing. Also, the engine oil is also the transmission oil so how many bearings have damage???

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I drained it, it had at least 2 quarts in it, the owner said he had not put none in it, when I spun bottom everything sounds tight, I don't have the know how to go into bottom side

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
What if I just put one of the cheaper top end kits in it to see if lower is going to hold up for a while

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I would go with the top myself or should I say did. Used a Namura kit. Can the jug be machined on it?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
It's iffy, they not extreamly deep but rough, problem is no machine shops here no more, a thing of the psst

·
Registered
435 Posts
If the scratches are not too deep a 3 finger hone with medium grit stones to clean it up and then use a bead hone to finish. Kerosene used to be used as a cutting agent.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts