PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #62
Ordered my parts today, wanted to thank y'all for all the help, will let you know how it turns out馃憤

Registered
Will follow :unsure:

Registered
Discussion Starter #65
Ordered cylinder/piston/ ring kit with all gaskets, ordered in oil and filter, air filter, spark plugs, had a car mechanic look at head,( a good friend) he did what yall said, sprayed break cleaner in it and waited a couple minutes, got a little damp looking around valve but never a drop threw, he said it would be fine, adjusted valve's while I was there

Registered
Discussion Starter #66
Well gentleman, got Yamaha back together tonight, fired right up and idled great but has a tap to it, guess they ran it too low on oil, gonna fool with it a little more tommorow

Registered
I will take a tap over a knock any day. How you breaking it in? Dino oil and varying rpms, or stole it style?

Registered
Discussion Starter #68
Not stole it style馃ぃ, got a water leak I gotta see about first, probably diff rpms, just for deer hunting not gonna be rode hard

Registered
Discussion Starter #69
Water leak was simple, running excellent, very strong, but a very noticeable tap, sounds like it's in the top end still, wonder if it might have warped a valve when water got in it

Registered
Did you use high temp rtv on the exhaust. I never noticed a gasket on mine where the spring holds it together and didn't use the rtv either I believe I'm getting what sounds like a tap from that. Guess I need to use the long screwdriver trick also.

Registered
Discussion Starter #71
There's no where really to seal, it bolted up tight , it has a compression plate with 2 bolts, got a mechanic at my hunt club, he's going to bring one of those mechanic stethoscope

Registered
Let us know what you find. I deep forgetting that the one you are working on is a Yamaha 400. Anyone here know if the Po 500 has gaskets on the spring loaded exhaust connections?

Never mind, it does, found it..

Registered
Discussion Starter #73
Well I took it to hunt club, my friend had his mechanic stethoscope, neatest tool I ever seen, bit could not pin point rattle, rode it about 2 miles, but when I crank it and loaded it yesterday, it blowed a hard puff of oil smoke, so apparently my efforts have failed, hate to rebuild head and it be in bottom end, don't know where to go from here, but at least I did get it running馃ぃ

Registered
I'm not sure but it could be a valve loose in the guide causing rattle , and letting oil seep into cyl causing a puff on start up.

Reactions: Rangerwhit
61 - 74 of 74 Posts