PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my version of the Lock n' Ride plug. I wanted someting that also had a hook on top so I would have additional tie-down points higher up in the bed.

Here are the individual pieces. The key components are 2 1-1/2" test plugs (I bought mine at McMaster Carr for $1.50 each). The rubber from the test plug needs to be ground down a little for proper fit (chuck in drill and run over sand paper). The eye hooks are 3/8" and I bought the longest I could find that were threaded all the way to the top (they measure 5" total length). I used a 2-1/2" piece of all thread and a 3/8" nut to connect the eye hook and the all thread to get the right length. The spacer is 3/4" sch 40 PVC. The other hardware items were parts of the test plug, plus 2 extra 3/8" nuts.

Here's the test plug

To expand the plug you hold the eye hook and tighten the wing nut...works great...a little over $4 to make.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I LIKT EM!!!! I just picked up 4 of the test plugs today at Home Depot for $2.47 each. I was gonna use them like they are but I like your idea ALOT better!!! Thanks for the info and pictures............:)

·
Registered
15,400 Posts
What a deal! You did a very nice job on those things. Great write-up and pictures to boot. Boy ya can't beat that. I may have to look into making a few of those things. It sure beats the heck out of the $17.00 ones that Polaris sells. Thanks for sharing the info!

Brian

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
That is a good idea.

·
Registered
613 Posts
engineering at its finest...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ordered 8 plugs from McMaster-Carr P/N 2613 K21 online and recieved them in 1 day. 5.25 ups and no tax. Put them in the drill press and sanded with a sandpaper block. Now I am ready to make my own guncase holder mount. Thanks for the Info.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think this is brilliant. Gonna try to bump it to the top. Great idea!

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
They work great, I have been useing mine just like that for 2 years now and only lost one. [:0] 100 lb. dog was snaped to it and dog jumped out of bed to chase a deer, got dog back no plug! [:(] If you make them long as you can they hold better. [:D] You also may need to sand rubber a litte to let it go in easy.[8D]

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Take a good look at the lock-n-ride holes the top half is about 1/4 inch larger dimeter than the bottom half if you want to go way deep with them. I end up using a rubber mallet to put two mine in most of the way.[:D]
Joe in Tucson

·
Registered
48 Posts
ok... I got all the goods to make a few of these but the eye bolts I got were longer and did not thread all the way to the top...ya think they will still work if I put some sort of spacer on top of eye bolt?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion Mark. Took me a while to find the same parts but once I did, at my local hardware, it took me all of about 2 mins to put two together and install them. Worked great keeping the cooler in place riding on Saturday helping put the snowmobile trail in over here in SW Michigan.

·
Registered
276 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by rowdy

Thanks for the suggestion Mark. Took me a while to find the same parts but once I did, at my local hardware, it took me all of about 2 mins to put two together and install them. Worked great keeping the cooler in place riding on Saturday helping put the snowmobile trail in over here in SW Michigan.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hey Rowdy,
I saw some folks setting up signs this weekend out by Chicora. Was that you?

Brian

·
Registered
526 Posts
No we were down by Sister Lakes (Dowagiac) area. I'm sore as hell today from pounding about frickin' 150 1 1/2" square oak stakes 6' long. Didn't feel it yesterday but definitely today.
My south club maintains the trail from Lawton to almost Niles. I'm also a member of the Gobles club and ride most of the time at my house on Bear Lake near Kalkaska.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts