PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

21 - 40 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
they must have gotten rid of the leaky air dash they had in the 800? I can't make enough heat in my cab to amount to how much cold air is coming in from behind the dash while I drive! This is promising! and about time!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Out-Pace Racing said:
I live in North Dakota. Saturday morning it was -24f below. The 900 ranger started up has soon has i hit the key. The heater fan made some noise but the engine ran smooth. Went ice fishing all day. The heater has all my friends amazed that it can keep the cab that warm and all the widows open at -24 to -10 below while driving 55mph down the road.The more i drive this machine the more i love it. This is a ice fishing machine and has everybody wishing they had 1.
Which heater do you have?

I'll be finished installing my OE heater shortly and will do some further testing. What got me was the fact that it started, ran and then stalled. Lots of cranking, lots of prime cycles and nothing. It may have sounded like it tried to hit one cylinder once or twice, but just kept cranking. Then on finally on what must have been attempt #8 or 10 maybe more, it finally started right up. It did not blubber like it was flooded. I guess I'll treat as it's water in te gas and set it outside and see what happens.

·
Registered
13 Posts
TD-Max said:
Out-Pace Racing said:
I live in North Dakota. Saturday morning it was -24f below. The 900 ranger started up has soon has i hit the key. The heater fan made some noise but the engine ran smooth. Went ice fishing all day. The heater has all my friends amazed that it can keep the cab that warm and all the widows open at -24 to -10 below while driving 55mph down the road.The more i drive this machine the more i love it. This is a ice fishing machine and has everybody wishing they had 1.
Which heater do you have?

I'll be finished installing my OE heater shortly and will do some further testing. What got me was the fact that it started, ran and then stalled. Lots of cranking, lots of prime cycles and nothing. It may have sounded like it tried to hit one cylinder once or twice, but just kept cranking. Then on another attempt it finally started right up. It did not blubber like it was flooded. I guess I'll treat as it's water in te gas and set it outside and see what happens.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the standard Polaris heater. 2 defrost, 4 dash,& 2 floor vents. I did make my own seal kit for around the steering sector. That was were the majority of cold air was coming in.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
I did make my own seal kit for around the steering sector. That was were the majority of cold air was coming in.[/quote said:
Do you have a picture of steering sector fix.

thanks, jere

·
Registered
552 Posts
OK Ranger sat outside overnight now 11°f and no start.

My business is diesel pickups. I know what it means to have quality fuel to protect very expensive fuel systems.

I'm not saying that it couldn't be fuel because it could, BUT I doubt it. For good measures I added some isopropyl de-icer plus some Sea Foam last night and took it for a drive to mix it in.

To me it seems like it may be programmed excessively lean OR be misreading temp somehow. It turned over decent and after going over a couple times gave a hint of a flutter a couple times then dead.

I guess I'll try again later and if it fails to start I'll pull plugs and see if they are getting wet.

Sorry I did not mean to take this thread off topic with the heater question. I was just curious which blower motor was squealing already.

Honda generator ran on same gas during deer season and Honda Rincon started fine (doesn't like cold weather starts) while outside early winter.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Went back out and tried again and it started right up without complaint. Now 15°f vs 11°f and a couple hours of time being the only difference. Sun not much of a factor.

·
Registered
281 Posts
TD-Max said:
Went back out and tried again and it started right up without complaint. Now 15°f vs 11°f and a couple hours of time being the only difference. Sun not much of a factor.
I would not think 4F difference is significant.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Agreed that the temp made no difference. It's looking pretty random at this point. I mean I guess it could have flooded and the couple hours could have let the gas evaporate, but I have my doubts.

I let it run for a while and then shut down to see what happens later today and again tomorrow. I won't be taking it back to the cabin until Saturday or so the way it looks. I should be able to get another cold no start and maybe do a plug check

·
Registered
243 Posts
Based on the description and chain of events.. I would say it was a small amount of water. Pretty common with vehicles up here. People don't realize that even a small amount (like snow getting in during filling) can lead to a fuel line freeze up.

I'm basing this on the fact that you added some alcohol and the problem went away. It might be a little to early to call it, but if the problem does not return with this tank of fuel then that is most likely the problem.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Not wanting to over analyze this:

1) No start the first time that a sub freezing attempt was made, BUT it eventiually started and once it started ran normal.
2) Fuel treated as preventive measure inside at 62°f then run for a few mintes outside. Maybe a mile or so of run to mix up tank.
3) Next cold start was no go at 11°f
4) 2 hrs sitting still in cold weather (14°) and it magically started right up and idled perfectly

I don't see how a bit of water can be so intermittent especially when the temp remains below freezing and then when it does start it runs smoothly rather than starving/missing, or something irregular.

I've only ever filled indoors and have used maybe 3/4 of a tank. I'd have to check odometer. I'd say some of the selling dealers gas is still in there. It was delivered with "full" (more like 7/8) tank from selling dealer. I think I dumped another 2 gallons before I took it to the cabin and maybe a gallon or so at the cabin to empty the can. I mean I guess I could pour it all through a screened funnel would be about all the better care I could take with my gas.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine wouldnt start either, It was about 2 degrees, spun like crazy and i tried everything mentioned in here and nothing. I pulled it back to shop with my 800 ranger which fired right up( just saying) , opened shop door to push it in and hit the key one more time and it started, This was all within ten minutes. It ran great all day, i'm waiting for tech guy to call me back, I will let you know what i find out..

·
Registered
552 Posts
If it weren't such a random occurrence I'd think that maybe ice on the MAP sensor or something . With the 06-10 era Dmax we see the MAP sensor get moisture accumulation and then icing when air flows across it and just like that you have check engine light and reduced power.

At least I'm not the only one and it looks like I can stop second guessing my instinct and my fuel quality...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sorry I must have misunderstood the chain of events.. I thought the deicer was added between the no start and the start.

Definitely strange. The only time I have seen one started in the cold was during my test drive. The salesman attempted to start one at 0F. The unit would start but then the sales men would step on the gas and the unit would die (he was a moron). Eventually he flooded it and we had to let it sit for 1/2 hour before it would start (no touching the gas).

Mine is kept inside and heated.. Always starts.. I want to try, but its warmed up here and I don't really have a place to put it outside (worry it might get stolen).

·
Registered
96 Posts
POS POLARIS said:
I don't think there's anything you're going to be able to do to remedy the start problem. this issue is most likely all about how polaris has the fuel and air mapped out in the ECM, or, lack thereof :roll:

You shouldn't need to take any special steps to cold start a FI engine. it should be effortless. every FI machine should have a "cold mode"programmed into the ECM with preset fuel mapping for cold weather. just like a choke on a carbed machine. this is dissapointing to hear that there's more than one machine that's doing this, and the lack of support from and to the dealer.

This says it best!! there is something wrong with the mapped program. I hope they figure this out, its very dissapointing to have a 15000 dollar machine that wont start!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
You fellas have been a lot of help. Its been below 0 here for over a week and his machine will not start. I have a 2010 800 I keep out side with battery tenders on both batteries. So far every time I have went out to where I keep it it fires right up. Kinda makes you wonder whats going on. All I know so far is his 900 is sitting at our dealer and they have no clue. I have to give my buddy props for his patience but he is getting flustered. He has a ice fishing turnament second week end of January and is kinda depending on it for transportation. I hope they can find something. I have relayed the findings that have been posted and I hope they are doing something with it.
Once again I thank all for the help with this. It is nice to have guys that are willing to help out. If we get anything figured out I will post what they find.
Thanks a bunch fellas
Frank

·
Registered
552 Posts
What I keep hearing is "take it to the dealer so they can scan codes" but if it had codes it would nag me with teh light so I doubt there are any.

Frank did your Buddies machine have any codes?

To me there's no sense taking it to the dealer so it can sit around while they wait for Polaris to realize there is a problem somewhere.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is it possible it could be the safety switch that you have to have your foot on the brake to make the engine crank and not letting power go to the engine to fire. maybe condensation freezing it making something to stick.Not sure how that is wired in.Could be ignition switch not sending power to ECM just to the starter intermitten problem when cold.Just trying to help.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My tech at my dealership is so frustrated with polaris.

He reported the problem and polaris big shots said i have to take it in so he can check the battery, then this and then that!!! Grrr, he said they are gonna send him down a gravel road first.. He thinks from what he's hearing on here that it is a fault in the cold start program. So next week i can take it up and i'm sure it will be warmer and there wont be any issue found... I have had a few other issues with this one though, I notice that sometimes i start it up and take off that it seems way down on power, if I stop and shut it off and go again it runs normal, has anyone else had this issue? its very noticable if you have, so my tech is thinking I have a cpu issue and is gonna push to get me a new one.

I love the machine but i'm frustrated with these problems.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
The machine is not setting any codes. I tried to get him to tell the dealer to go get a new 900 (all their new machines are setting Iout in a fenced lot covered in snow) and see if they start. I would think if they are starting they could try some known good parts. Even if it meant throwing darts at a board on where to start. I would think they could check some voltages to see if there is a difference. But thats just my opinion. Anyway I guess we will see. I went out this morning to my 800 it was -10 and it had a hard time but it did start so something is not on the up andup. I was thinking about buying a new 900 either a ranger or razor but I think I will watch and see what happens.
Once again I appriciate all the help.
Thanks
Frank

21 - 40 of 116 Posts